Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge out Chromium in

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I find myself cycling through different browsers as they become more or less (un)usable.
    That reminds me of antivirus. One year, Product A is fantastic and Product B sucks. Next year, it's the other way around. I find I jump around every couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Edge was something some people claimed to have wanted: a version of Internet Explorer that is closer to the standards which also omits much of the traditional IE idiosyncrasies. Bit late to market and not making it available to Windows 8 and even 7 rather slowed uptake. Not that many people racing to upgrade OS just for an extra browser option.
    I tried really hard to like Edge when Windows 10 was released. Unfortunately, the stability and sometimes speed were just not there. I eventually dropped it. I've heard that it is considerably better now and I've poked at it from time to time, but those months and months of trying to force myself to like it have left quite the negative impression. I'm looking forward to seeing how this latest development goes.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    I've been on Pale Moon ever since I discovered it. Not sure if it's all that lighter-weight than equivalent versions of Firefox, but just getting rid of that Australis abomination is reason enough to use it.
    In fairness, Mozilla has moved on from Australis to Photon. Photon is yugly, though. I put up with it in service of the larger goal of keeping Gecko relevant.

Anyway, Edge is the browser that absolutely nobody wants and nobody will be sorry to see it go, even if its death does serve to further the Google Browser Hegemony. Good riddance.
    Yes, unfortunately, what the world didn't need is more Chromium market share.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

One possible good thing is that the Chromified version of Microsoft Edge might be coming to Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and even Mac OS:

https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...dows-7-and-mac

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    One possible good thing is that the Chromified version of Microsoft Edge might be coming to Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and even Mac OS
    True. I'd read about it possibly being ported to MacOS but yeah, should be trivial porting it to past versions of Windows too at that point. That could be pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeModifed View Post
    Sour grapes! Imagine that, some outfit had to gall to change things up on M$. I wonder what the count would be on all the struggling little guys that Microsoft sent down the tubes?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Sour grapes! Imagine that, some outfit had to gall to change things up on M$.
    "Some Outfit" was Google, and the YouTube turd they planted screws up the acceleration of other browsers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thallanor View Post
    Picking sides in an OS or web browser or <insert technological ideology> is like pissing in the wind.
    Good god, this, this and more of this. I have always said flameboyism is retarded. Pick any OS/Platform/Filesystem/Device and they will all have their own, unique ways of causing you to claw your eyes out in frustration. The only difference is which eye you choose to claw at, and the tools you use to do it. There is no perfect platform, and the day there is one will be the day we see Skynet become a thing. I for one welcome any platform that can update itself without breaking 13 different packages and deleting my documents directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Most of the time when I see a Chromium browser on a PC its tends to come with a user that dose stuff they should not.
    In my experience it's shoveled to the lowest common denominator. The sort of person who will see a popup notification on google.com what says "you really should be using chrome" and will click it, because brand power, and why not. These are also the people who clink malware links in emails, hand over machine access and credit cards to "Microsoft" when they are told they have a virus, and will buy $500 worth of iTunes vouchers to pay back their debt to the IRS. I've given up trying to fight that fight. I don't blame people for being stupid in a rapidly evolving world, but it's not worth the heartache and support calls to try and help them. My immediate family have had it beaten into them over the years (to the point where my 76 year old mother plays dumb to keep them on the phone for as long as possible, before telling them she has a Mac when she gets bored of it all), they are my only concern and so far they seem to know how to keep their noses clean.
    [Sorry, this signature is not available in your country/region]

Blog Entries

Also, now that IBM owns Red Hat for about 35B$, and Steam has over 2K games available in Linux, M$ is about to cry about being squeezed in the cloud market.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting