Image Map Image Map

Thread: How do I know if a server motherboard supports ERC, TLER, and/or CCTL hard drives?

Default How do I know if a server motherboard supports ERC, TLER, and/or CCTL hard drives?

I'm looking for a server motherboard based on AMD socket c32 or socket g34. I like the look of the Tyan S8010 socket c32 motherboard. Will it fully support these enterprise grade hard drive features? What about other similar boards from like Supermicro or Asus? I have an HGST Ultrastar 7k3000 SATA III enterprise drive I want to use with a proper server board to make use of it's error recovery features. Motherboards based on socket c32 and g34 first came out in 2010 and 2011, so I hope they're not too old to support it. My hard drive is from about 2013 I believe.

These are not drive features that a motherboard will care about. They are things your RAID controller will care about. If you don't have a RAID controller, or you're only using a single drive, these features are not likely to be relevant.

For a RAID controller you won't need to worry about whether it's compatible with drives that have ERC/TLER and/or CCTL, you need to worry about whether they're compatible with drives that *don't* have these features.

I read it's not OK in the long run to be using enterprise grade hard drives on regular desktop boards, so I'm now looking out for a server board. The Tyan board has the I/O chip: Winbond W83627. The chipset is the AMD SR5670 + SP5100. I wonder if they support the ERC/TLER and/or CCTL. Do you know if the error recovery does function, if just for a single drive? The mobo has multiple sata II, likely for raid support. If the particular controller does support the features, will I absolutely need 2+ identical drives and have them in RAID?

https://www.tyan.com/EN_Motherboards_S8010_S8010WGM2NR
    Last edited by computerdude92; December 7th, 2018 at 09:26 PM.

These aren't error recovery features, they are anti-recovery features. RAID controllers don't want your disks wasting a lot of time trying to recover data; the controller itself can do it faster.

You do not need to worry about them if you aren't using the disk as part of a RAID array.