Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GOG Ruining it for Old School Gamers on Original Hardware

Blog Entries

I haven't had any issue with GOG, but wanted to share a similar story regarding Acorn computers.

An individual purchased the licenses from various software houses as they closed, with the interest of maintaining and selling the software going forward. Good guy, keeping it legit and making things affordable for owners. Games owned by this person were not found on archive sites.

Well.... I owned a game as a child called Haunted House. It wasn't a good game, but I wanted to beat it as an adult, and didn't want to spend $$$ getting it sent from the UK on a floppy disc that might have bad sectors [the original owner gets $0.00 for every second hand copy sold btw, not much different to "archive downloads"]. So I thought I'd go order it via his website.

Sure enough they had it, but only in a compilation CD, I tried extracting the game from the legitimate ISO I had purchased, but was unable to, and my machine didn't have a CDROM.

A few years passed and I got a RISC PC with a CDROM inside. Great! Lets try out that CD! But then I realised I didn't have the files anymore, I had the original email but those links only stayed up for a few days after purchase. So I thought I'll just buy it again! But it appears the owner has passed away (very sad to hear) and his family was intending to release all the software for free to the public - that was two years ago, and it's pretty much just nothing.

So I've bought the game twice in my life, still can't play it.
    If it was an archived game, e.g. not from somewhere that they'd purchased the license, I'd be able to get it.

I know I know, CoolStoryBro, but for software archiving I trust pirates more than legal license holders.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    I have no choice but to agree with what you have stated. But I'd also argue that if they are gong to ENFORCE that copyright, then they have an obligation to provide a means of obtaining their works legally. For example if Microsoft doesn't want me pirating Windows 3.11 or 95/98, then they have an obligation to sell it to me. Simply discontinuing it is not an option. If they do that, then I will pirate it. I have a right to obtain the software in some manner.
    Um, with all respect, you have literally no right to do so. Whether you agree with it or not, intellectual property law is fairly well established. If someone owns the IP, they control it, period. Your desire to have a copy is superseded by their legal ownership rights. They have no obligation to provide you access at all.

Generally no one worries about "abandonware" because much of it has actually been abandoned, or is so old it's no longer profitable. If memory serves, MS has even released the source code to MS-DOS 1 & 2. Even then, they hold rights to the software. Even the "free software" agreement retains control of the IP, and specifies how you may distribute it.

You can claim all sorts of "rights," but given that they aren't listed in a statue or a court decision, they're just so much hot air. Software piracy is a crime; you have no "right" to someone else's IP, any more than you have a right to access their bank account, drive their car, or eat their food.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    A quick check on GOG show you can get Ultima 4-5-6 for $5.99 USD.

https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_456

The thing to watch, however, is if it's an "enchanced" verson which may not run properly on some older PCs.
    Right now it's on sale for $1.49. Whatta deal!

I didn't know that. Only bought a couple games from them.

I don't understand the drama; the games are cheap, easily found, and NO DRM. Always a plus.

Me, I bought the SimCity 2000 cd a while ago, and now I can't find the disc after I moved. I might eventually find it, but instead of looking for a copy online I bought it again from GoG. Price was low, and no drm.

Now, if they only had a copy of MS Arcade. I miss Asteroids... Can't play the original on my Windows 7 system since I don't have the Pro version, hence no XP mode.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    .... I owned a game as a child called Haunted House...
    It wasn't for LORD 3.5, was it?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I miss Asteroids... Can't play the original on my Windows 7 system since I don't have the Pro version, hence no XP mode.
    http://www.mspacman4u.com/asteroids/
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Thanks! I tried the link, but it didn't work. Clicked on the link, but nothing happens.

That's ok. I think I have a CD somewhere I saved from the deteriorating floppy it came on. If I can find that, I'll install it on my tweener running 98SE right now. Found a nice 19" 4:3 Dell lcd monitor at the local thrift store; that should be fun. Just need speakers for that system. Only have speakers for my main unit right now, and some headphones.

Blog Entries

Link works for me.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It wasn't for LORD 3.5, was it?
    RISC OS 3. I played it on my Acorn A3010.
    Awful game but now I'm older I want to beat it
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch