Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOG Ruining it for Old School Gamers on Original Hardware

Default GOG Ruining it for Old School Gamers on Original Hardware

I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to find original Dos versions of games. It seems like GOG has the rights to all of them and they have been removed from other sites that had them for free in the past. So, I'm supposed to buy an original version of Ultima VI on ebay for a $100, just to play it? This is just an example but most of these games were considered abandon-ware a few years ago. Am I wrong?

There is no such thing as abandonware. The rights to the games (in almost all circumstances) still rest with some legal entity; whether that's a giant like EA that swallowed up dozens of smaller developers over the years, or perhaps even a sole developer in the case where a publisher simply went bankrupt and their assets never bought up. Software is way, way too young for copyright to have expired on it yet.

What has happened, however, is that most rights holders have now become aware of the fact that a reasonable amount of people are still willing to pay to access older games. Hence the success of GOG and others, and now you have the illegal download sites being targeted more than they would have done previously.

I'd be willing to pay for the older games provided I get physical media and not just a digital download. For me, a large part of experiencing vintage computing is the feeling and touching of tangable stuff. Disks especially. Just seeing the resulting output on a screen doesnt do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron-uk View Post
    There is no such thing as abandonware. The rights to the games (in almost all circumstances) still rest with some legal entity; whether that's a giant like EA that swallowed up dozens of smaller developers over the years, or perhaps even a sole developer in the case where a publisher simply went bankrupt and their assets never bought up. Software is way, way too young for copyright to have expired on it yet.
    I have no choice but to agree with what you have stated. But I'd also argue that if they are gong to ENFORCE that copyright, then they have an obligation to provide a means of obtaining their works legally. For example if Microsoft doesn't want me pirating Windows 3.11 or 95/98, then they have an obligation to sell it to me. Simply discontinuing it is not an option. If they do that, then I will pirate it. I have a right to obtain the software in some manner.

Will this do?

☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatik View Post
    I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to find original Dos versions of games. It seems like GOG has the rights to all of them and they have been removed from other sites that had them for free in the past. So, I'm supposed to buy an original version of Ultima VI on ebay for a $100, just to play it? This is just an example but most of these games were considered abandon-ware a few years ago. Am I wrong?
    A quick check on GOG show you can get Ultima 4-5-6 for $5.99 USD.

https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_456

The thing to watch, however, is if it's an "enchanced" verson which may not run properly on some older PCs.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Do I need to modify the files to make them work in DOS? All of their downloads are configured for Windows using Dosbox.

Blog Entries

GOG is for people who want to play old games on new hardware. The installers are for newer operating systems (XP to W10). I have purchased a few games from GOG, but don't have a massive library (69 titles) .

I don't mind digital downloads as long as they are super cheap and I get to have the installers in case the company goes bankrupt. Just today I got in the mail from ebay a shrinkwrapped copy of Command and Conquer the Ultimate Collection from EA, 17 games that cost me $12.59 shipped. Assuming the unused key still works I think that is a super deal. Last year (also from ebay) I purchased the Command and Conquer Theater of War pack for cheap (original Command and Conquer, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 1 and 2 with original CD installers (so you can play on vintage gear 8 CDs total). I still have my original copy of the first few C&C but buying each one now can get pricey.

To be honest most old games can be found using torrents or download sites. Most people who pay crazy money for hardware tend to pirate software (from what I have seen). The people who collect the originals boxed probably don't play them much. I have a bunch of originals purchased over the years, even went crazy buying boxed Amiga and Atari ST games when they were being dumped ages ago.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatik View Post
    Do I need to modify the files to make them work in DOS? All of their downloads are configured for Windows using Dosbox.
    The CD above is the original DOS game(s).
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    I have a right to obtain the software in some manner.
    You may have an option to obtain it legally.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting