Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOG Ruining it for Old School Gamers on Original Hardware

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    GOG is for people who want to play old games on new hardware. The installers are for newer operating systems (XP to W10).
    Not all of it - you have to be careful and look it over before you buy. The item will usually tell you that it 'enhanced'
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I'm honestly finding it hard to sympathize at all with this thread. You do have many ways to get this software, there are still disks and stuff on eBay, they're just expensive. I'm pretty sure you can make the GOG stuff work on old hardware, unless it's enhanced where they had the code and changed and recompiled the executables, but from all the stuff I've seen it was the original programs with the DOSBOX cfg files and maybe a few other supplemental files to make it work on new systems. I actually own the GOG files for some programs, I'll copy them over to my PS/1 and see if they work, but I'm almost positive they will. I saw mention of physical disks, but that's not really on the table anymore (unless you buy from ebay, etc). You're not downloading physical disks, but you can get the GOG files and copy them to physical disks. $6 is pretty dang cheap for 3 great games.

in the case of ultima games, you can still get them for other platforms under the questionable 'abandonware'. I'm guessing the PC platform is the issue here, but honestly, up until Ultima 6... the Amiga, Atari ST and likely even Commodore 64 versions were actually better due to the poor graphics capabilities in the early PC's.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Like I said in the first post, Utima 6 was an example. If I can get GOG games to work in dos, I will, as it may be the only real option.

Blog Entries

GOG gives you PDFs of the original manuals and other printed material which you kind of need on older games.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    GOG gives you PDFs of the original manuals and other printed material which you kind of need on older games.
    Yup, I remember with the older Ultima games (and many others), the "copy protection" was using parts of the manual for keywords.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Can Atari ST system/development/productivity/game titles be legally purchased anywhere? Digital download is fine, as long as docs are included. What about Atari 8 bit stuff? Or Commodore for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Can Atari ST system/development/productivity/game titles be legally purchased anywhere? Digital download is fine, as long as docs are included. What about Atari 8 bit stuff? Or Commodore for that matter?
    Not specifically an answer to the above, but the titles available on www.worldofspectrum.org are available with the rights-holders permissions; where some titles have come into questionable status they are removed. For example, none of the Dizzy games are available, since Codemasters declined to make it available (they're still sold in some manner). I assume there are similar curated collections of software for other platforms (C64 springs to mind) where the rights holders have agreed to make them available.

Blog Entries

Everything purchased from GOG is just the original files, cracked to remove copy-protection, running with the DOSBox emulator. You can transfer these files to older systems and run them there, although reconfiguration of the sound/video options might be necessary. In a few rare instances the files might have been modified to require a 386 or higher, but you can blame whoever originally cracked them and not GOG.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Everything purchased from GOG is just the original files, cracked to remove copy-protection, running with the DOSBox emulator. You can transfer these files to older systems and run them there, although reconfiguration of the sound/video options might be necessary. In a few rare instances the files might have been modified to require a 386 or higher, but you can blame whoever originally cracked them and not GOG.
    This is how it is for most cases. The problem is with a few games, just a few fortunately, that come with ScummVM (so without the executable) or with missing files like the setup/config program or executables for different graphics cards. I agree though that it's a good starting point if you want to purchase an old game and attempt to run it on the originally intended hardware.

Most of the games run in ScummVM, which I hate since that program always crashed my system for no reason. The only way I can get the games to work in pure DOS or DOSBox is to purchase the physical copies. There are some online, but, the ZIP or RAR files are corrupt to begin with.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser