Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant / Survey - Dusk Sun in eyes while driving

Default Rant / Survey - Dusk Sun in eyes while driving

Sun directly in eyes on my route home. Bright sun is washing out my vision so I slow down since I don't know and can't see what I am driving into. People behind me get pissed and honk. SO i have to know do the rest of you just drive 60 to 70 into bright blinding light? Does the sun in your eyes not blind the rest of you? I have to be able to see PERFECTLY or I will not go above 40. Fog, blinding sun light, oncoming headlights at night, heavy rain, I slow down in all of these conditions and it seems as if I am the only one who's vision is affected by these things. Just had a huge argument with my wife because of this and she says its me. I refuse to believe that because I have been a computer technician for 15 years and I am only 34. As with a lot of people I have very strong opinions about driving and I really do believe I am right here. I would like to hear from others though because if i am wrong i need to know. nothing upsets me more than being wrong except not knowing im wrong and continuing to look like an ass trying to prove my side.

With my eyesight, I cannot see where the heck I'm going very well when the sun is setting, raining, snowing, or sleeting/icing outside heavily, assholes with their brights on behind me or in front of me, thick fog, and so on. I'm 27 and it pisses me off when people honk when I'm going the minimum speed when its heavy rain, snowing, sleeting/icing, and during a thick fog session since my life and safety is more important than anyone else's. I build, work, and repair my own computers at home or resolve issues for my grandpa or my parents. I'm also a Help Desk Agent working 40 hrs/week and staring at 3 screens at the same time. During the summer time, it's hard for me to drive home with the sun in my eyes and it's not setting yet. I wear glasses that have transitional lenses, however, the darn smudges get in my way and I'm near-sighted.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

I use HD and Amber vision visor on the car and have very dark
    clip on and Amber vision I have very sensitive eyes
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    With my eyesight, I cannot see where the heck I'm going very well when the sun is setting, raining, snowing, or sleeting/icing outside heavily, assholes with their brights on behind me or in front of me, thick fog, and so on. I'm 27 and it pisses me off when people honk when I'm going the minimum speed when its heavy rain, snowing, sleeting/icing, and during a thick fog session since my life and safety is more important than anyone else's. I build, work, and repair my own computers at home or resolve issues for my grandpa or my parents. I'm also a Help Desk Agent working 40 hrs/week and staring at 3 screens at the same time. During the summer time, it's hard for me to drive home with the sun in my eyes and it's not setting yet. I wear glasses that have transitional lenses, however, the darn smudges get in my way and I'm near-sighted.
    Thank GOD someone sides with me. Wer'e not that far apart in age either. I wear glasses too and I hate the smudges and the constant care I have to exercise. But contacts are worse. I just want to not have to think about eyeware. but anways it seems like you and I have similar vision. Have you ever been involved in any road rage based incident?

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    Just had a huge argument with my wife because of this and she says its me. I refuse to believe that because I have been a computer technician for 15 years and I am only 34.
    What does being a computer technician have to do with your driving?

When the sun is low I put on sunglasses and put the visor down. I don't need to see the sky to drive, just the road.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    What does being a computer technician have to do with your driving?

When the sun is low I put on sunglasses and put the visor down. I don't need to see the sky to drive, just the road.
    This.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    Thank GOD someone sides with me. Wer'e not that far apart in age either. I wear glasses too and I hate the smudges and the constant care I have to exercise. But contacts are worse. I just want to not have to think about eyeware. but anways it seems like you and I have similar vision. Have you ever been involved in any road rage based incident?
    Close to a couple of them. Every time I get off the service ramp to get onto the freeway, the damn truck driver honks his horn and never moves over. I almost went into the ditch a couple of years ago when a semi decided to move over when I was in the passing lane (2 lane freeway) and he honked at me for no reason while I was inches away from going into the ditch. There are cops everywhere on the freeway looking for reckless drivers that cause road rage (never seen one before a day in my life).
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Same, but I don't bother exchanging my regular glasses for sunglasses. Lowering the visor is enough.

It's inconsiderate (and unsafe) to drive significantly slower than surrounding traffic, especially if there is any simple remedy. If you must, you should of course move over to the slow lane. If you cannot drive safely due to some physical impairment then arguably you shouldn't be driving. My mother can't see well at night, so she only drives during the day and plans accordingly, calling an Uber if need be. Part of the responsibility of having a driving license is self-assessing your own ability to drive safely.

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    Close to a couple of them. Every time I get off the service ramp to get onto the freeway, the damn truck driver honks his horn and never moves over. I almost went into the ditch a couple of years ago when a semi decided to move over when I was in the passing lane (2 lane freeway) and he honked at me for no reason while I was inches away from going into the ditch. There are cops everywhere on the freeway looking for reckless drivers that cause road rage (never seen one before a day in my life).
    A few years ago a pickup truck driver in Portage Indiana was tailgating me on US 6. I brake checked him a few times - he was swerving from one lane to the other but since it was rush hour he couldnt quite get by. I turned right on Willowcreek and he tried to cut me off so i jumped the median. a portage cop saw that and lit up his car. He asked me why i jumped the median and i said that it was because the other guy got out of his car. The other guy claimed i was trying to kill him by brake checking him. The other man was taken to jail for a misdemeanor and I was given a warning for drivign on the wrong side of the road. In my area pickup truck drivers are usually such hot-headed uneducated hicks. It was quite enjoyable to see him get taken to jail and his truck towed. The whole time i was smiling thinking if he were a computer technician this wouldnt have happened but he had to be a blue collar piece of sh*t.

Any of you guys have Night Blindness? I have had it since I was 17 and its gettings worse every year. I try not to drive at night (its winter now so its dark in mid to late afternoon). If its dark and raining forget about it, I have to crawl or I will go offroad. Had lasik in 2003, they said "it may help with night blindness...", it didnt. Vision is great during the day, but non-existant at night... just glares of lights and blackness.

But yeah, sunset in the eyes while driving is no fun, especially in bumper to bumper traffic.