Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got "the notice" today

Default Got "the notice" today

Yep, that notice. I knew it was coming, but disappointed all the same.

Dropbox are drop (hah!) -ping support for OS/X 10.9.

Guess this 4-year-old operating system is now hopelessly out of date and obsolete. Time for me to finally bite the bullet and update to the newest version of "macOS". After all, both Apple & Dropbox think I should, and probably Google too. ...right?

HAH - are you ****ing kidding? What I'm actually going to do is drop (it goes both ways, suckers!) Dropbox, at least on my one remaining OS/X machine I use it on, and move everything to my OwnCloud host.

Glad I never gave them any money. Sure, "you get what you pay for", but tough - if I were paying them, it would have made not one iota of difference, and now'd be an excellent time not to.

You Win7 guys shouldn't get too complacent, I bet you're next.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post

Guess this 4-year-old operating system is now hopelessly out of date and obsolete. Time for me to finally bite the bullet and update to the newest version of "macOS". After all, both Apple & Dropbox think I should, and probably Google too. ...right?

HAH - are you ****ing kidding? What I'm actually going to do is drop (it goes both ways, suckers!) Dropbox, at least on my one remaining OS/X machine I use it on, and move everything to my OwnCloud host.

Glad I never gave them any money. Sure, "you get what you pay for", but tough - if I were paying them, it would have made not one iota of difference, and now'd be an excellent time not to.

I actually was going to mention the Owncloud option, which i've tested but not really using since I do something different. Most everything I just keep on my home NAS and if I need access to it, I can just VPN home and access it (though if I didn't do the VPN option, owncloud or SSHFS are options for accessing it as well). The best thing about just using your own local storage solution is it can be accessed from anything in the house that supports any old ethernet network. For example, I have my IBM PS/1 running dos 6.22 and mapped it to my NAS so I can access IMD disks and software from there (long file names is an inconvenience, though).

I do have a few cloud accounts. Onedrive which is built into windows so its always syncing my local documents between my desktop and laptop, but that's specifically used for work stuff. Dropbox I only use to share a file out easily. Drive is specifically used for google docs stuff (rarely). Box I don't use at all anymore.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    The best thing about just using your own local storage solution is it can be accessed from anything in the house that supports any old ethernet network.
    The worst thing about local clouds is that they burn down with your house. So I have a mixture of on-site and off-site storage.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Keep one copy in your car. Or leave it in the backyard (I can imagine someone thinking ... But it'll get rained on ... the racoons will crap on it). Data is important, don't misunderstand me, but you have a lot more to be concerned about in the event of a fire. But even then you can protect items from fire that remain in the house. And everyone should give thought to that. It's not hard or expensive even.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post

Until microsoft comes out with something as beautiful as Win 7 I am not giving up win 7. Aero is sexy as hell and this flat, non skeuomorphic UI in 10 is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The worst thing about local clouds is that they burn down with your house. So I have a mixture of on-site and off-site storage.
    Yeah, I didn't mention that in the context of this discussion, but agreed. Doing a cloud backup of the NAS is definitely advised.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Keep one copy in your car. Or leave it in the backyard (I can imagine someone thinking ... But it'll get rained on ... the racoons will crap on it). Data is important, don't misunderstand me, but you have a lot more to be concerned about in the event of a fire. But even then you can protect items from fire that remain in the house. And everyone should give thought to that. It's not hard or expensive even.
    I keep a yearly copy in a fire safe. The most important thing, pictures, are also backed up automatically via Google photos. Redundancy is your friend, though more redundancy does increase security risk, if that's important to someone.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; December 7th, 2018 at 10:25 PM.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Fireproof Hard Drive. Someone needs to invent this.

I should mention I'm actually using OwnCloud through a commercial service, similar to Dropbox, so I have an off-site copy of everything. It's not my backup though, just a convenient way to sync all my work files across a home & office PC and half a dozen laptops.

Is there a sweet spot for cloud backup storage right now? Can I get, like, 500GB for a reasonable amount or do you still pay out the nose for anything approaching modern capacity?

For ~ $100.00 you can get two external 1TB HDs.

One to keep locally and one to store elsewhere.

It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

^^ Not what I asked.