Image Map Image Map

Thread: Computers turns on / starts booting when monitor gets turned off or on

Default Computers turns on / starts booting when monitor gets turned off or on

Hi!

I got really weird issue with my 386SX.

For instance sometimes:
    1) System box doesn't turn on until I turn on monitor and sometimes doesn't boot after it (nothing is displayed on monitor)
    2) Systems stops booting when I turn on monitor and nothing is displayed
    3) When I turn off monitor system restarts and starts booting
    4) it starts well after some time when issues 1-3 happened without any changes from my end

I have this power supply: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ilantec-Ila...:rk:2:razz:f:0

I use PS/1 2011 monitor which can power PS/1 system box but I connect it to my 386SX system box just by VGA cable.
    I tried different power outlet in the same room but behavior is the same.

Does it mean I have a problem with system box power supply or I need to change monitor? I haven't got any problems for several months I own it.
    Can someone explain why turning on/off monitor affects system box? I'm really curious what is happening...

According to Wikipedia, that monitor has an internal PSU to power the computer from the monitor cable itself?

I would stop using that monitor immediately and try a different non-proprietary monitor, if you're feeding voltage to somewhere it shouldn't, bad things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    According to Wikipedia, that monitor has an internal PSU to power the computer from the monitor cable itself?

I would stop using that monitor immediately and try a different non-proprietary monitor, if you're feeding voltage to somewhere it shouldn't, bad things happen.
    Yes, this monitor can power my other PS/1 80286 system box but I don't try to power my 80386SX system using this monitor. They are connected just by VGA cable.
    Actually it's impossible to power something else except PS/1 system box because of proprietary connection.

Anyway even if I don't connect monitor to 80386SX box (even with VGA cable) 80386SX box still behaves that way and reacts when monitor turns on/off in the way I explained above.
    Last edited by djyuran; December 6th, 2018 at 09:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a fire hazard. If you don't think you can find it, it might be best to hire an electrician.

Are the computer and monitor plugged into a common power strip? Or anything else between the computer and outlet receptacle? Does this happen if you use a different receptacle?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Are the computer and monitor plugged into a common power strip? Or anything else between the computer and outlet receptacle? Does this happen if you use a different receptacle?
    Behavior doesn't change if I use don't use power strip or plug them into outlets located on different walls.
    Do you have any thought what's going on? Is it an issue with monitor power supply, system box power supply, power outlet, power cables, wires in my house, etc?
    Last edited by djyuran; December 6th, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djyuran View Post
    Behavior doesn't change if I use don't use power strip or plug them into outlets located on different walls.
    Do you have any thought what's going on? Is it an issue with monitor power supply, system box power supply, power outlet, power cables, wires in my house, etc?
    Could be too much power draw so that you can't have both monitor and system case draw peak power at the same time without the voltage falling below a critical level. What is the capacity of that circuit? Many rooms will have most of the outlets on the same circuit and possibly some other rooms as well.

If your circuit breakers are very old, you may want to consider having them checked. I had an intermittent power gremlin that was eventually tracked down to a short in the water heater but the circuit breaker for the water heater would not trip. Bit unnerving when all the flaws were identified.

Blog Entries

In maybe the worst case scenario, it could be a loose wire in a wire nut or on a screw terminal somewhere. This is a recipe for fire.

I'm not sure what else to guess without seeing it myself.