Image Map Image Map

Thread: What was in the box?

Default What was in the box?

I have recently acquired two model 1s, both supposedly in their original box. Both boxes look similar, but have different contents:

Box 1, marked 26-1004/1:
    • TRS-80
    • Power supply
    • Video to RCA lead (looks home made)
    • Cassette lead
    • User's Manual for Level 1
    • Things You Should Know - Level II TRS-80 (single sheet of paper)
    • Hints and Tips on TRS-80 Cassette Programs (single sheet of paper)
    • Radio Shack Information Guide for New Computer Owners (leaflet)
    • TRS-80 Service Contract information card

Box 2, marked 26-1006/2 ALPS (stamped) crossed out with 26-9506 handwritten below:
    • TRS-80
    • Power supply
    • Video to RF including RF modulator (home made?)
    • Level II Basic Reference Manual

This has led me to wonder what customers would have actually received with their systems back in the day, and in particular what should go where in the various 'slots' in the box?

You know, that brings up a good point. There have been a few instances where I have picked up duplicate hardware new in box, same revision/version, but slightly different release date and the contents are different. Mostly what docs are included, but in some cases slightly different file variations in the software even though the revision/version number is the same. Drives a completionist mad I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by tastypies View Post
    I have recently acquired two model 1s, both supposedly in their original box. Both boxes look similar, but have different contents:

Box 1, marked 26-1004/1:
    • TRS-80
    • Power supply
    • Video to RCA lead (looks home made)
    • Cassette lead
    • Things You Should Know - Level II TRS-80 (single sheet of paper)
    • Hints and Tips on TRS-80 Cassette Programs (single sheet of paper)
    • Radio Shack Information Guide for New Computer Owners (leaflet)
    • TRS-80 Service Contract information card

Box 2, marked 26-1006/2 ALPS (stamped) crossed out with 26-9506 handwritten below:
    • TRS-80
    • Power supply
    • Video to RF including RF modulator (home made?)
    • Level II Basic Reference Manual

This has led me to wonder what customers would have actually received with their systems back in the day, and in particular what should go where in the various 'slots' in the box?
    Post some photos to let us see the products - would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Newirth View Post
    Post some photos to let us see the products - would be nice
    Following are scans of (what I imagine to be) the less common documents:

things-1.jpgthings-2.jpghints-1.jpghints-2.jpgservice-1.jpgservice-2.jpginformation.jpg

I can take photos of the other items anyone is particularly interested....

Get that service contract mailed soon!

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Get that service contract mailed soon!
    Ha..!

One quick related question...26-1004 on Box 1 suggests that it is a 4K Level II system.

However, ?MEM returns 5718, which is clearly more than 4kB. What should the number be for a 4K system?

I have that "Things you should know" sheet tucked into my Level II BASIC manual.

Apple's manual for Applesoft BASIC also points out many of the bugs and quicks you may encounter when using it. Was the Microsoft BASIC code they were given really that shoddy?

A Model I Level II 4K system should return a 3284 or 3282 in response to ?MEM

Quote Originally Posted by gp2000 View Post
    A Model I Level II 4K system should return a 3284 or 3282 in response to ?MEM
    Thank you, that makes a lot more sense than 5178!

I haven't opened the computer yet, but I suspect someone must have added more memory, some of which has since died.

10. Default

Are they they US or UK spec machines?

If the video adapter is a black plastic box with a cable coming out of one end with a 5 pin DIN to the keyboard and a TV aerial plug on cable coming out the other end? Then it was supplied like that by Tandy (or the supplier) as my system came with one; it does look homemade though! British Model 1s did not always come with a monitor and the little black box allowed you to use a TV via the RF. The way the contents list reads then the lead is just a 5 pin DIM to a composite phono.

Box 2 What does the PSU look like?