Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not mine... AL Lowe is selling his collection including source code.

Blog Entries

I don't know why but I don't really get excited for software as a collector. It's kind of odd I think given computers are useless without software. I guess it's just the nature of software... being easily, infinitely replicable bits and bytes. Having those source code disks would have a certain cool factor, but the only way to really maintain the value is to be like the Videobrain meanies and hoard the code on them to myself. And I couldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    While the 5.25" floppies are probably fine, the LSL2 source on the 3.5" disks is LONG gone. That's because he took DSDD disks and drilled an HD hole in them to format them as DSHD. You can do that, but Chuck can explain why the data isn't going to be there in about 6 months after you write it.
    I dunno, I have got a bunch of disks like that I made back in the early 90s. They were still mostly readable the last time I checked, although I was pushing a bit more than 1.7mb using extra tracks and more sectors. Of course, I appreciate mileage may vary depending on the specific media used and storage conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I don't know why but I don't really get excited for software as a collector. It's kind of odd I think given computers are useless without software. I guess it's just the nature of software... being easily, infinitely replicable bits and bytes. Having those source code disks would have a certain cool factor, but the only way to really maintain the value is to be like the Videobrain meanies and hoard the code on them to myself. And I couldn't do that.
    I think in this case, one has to specifically be a fan of LSL/Sierra/Al Lowe or such. All I see when I look at those are someones personal crufty disks, with personal data I would not be able to post.

Blog Entries

I have 360K floppies formatted out to 800K that are readable (mostly because the 1.2mb drive heads are small enough to double the tracks of a 360K disk).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    They were still mostly readable the last time I checked, although I was pushing a bit more than 1.7mb using extra tracks and more sectors.
    If this is on DSDD media, I think you need to check them again. That's greatly exceeding what the manufacturing process of the media intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have 360K floppies formatted out to 800K that are readable (mostly because the 1.2mb drive heads are small enough to double the tracks of a 360K disk).
    That's a legitimate use of 5.25" DSDD media; nothing wrong there.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    If this is on DSDD media, I think you need to check them again. That's greatly exceeding what the manufacturing process of the media intended.
    lsltest1.jpglsltest2.jpglsltest3.jpg
    *Shrugs* Works for me. Double density media, generic brand purchased from Microcenter, with holes lovingly melted through by a $5 RadioShit soldering iron because that was the only tool I had. Oh, and lucking fexdixia lable on the tabel! I hope spiel cheekiers never become "obsolete".

Blog Entries

You are shockingly lucky!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)