Image Map Image Map

Thread: Opening an original Compaq Portable with no tools

Default Opening an original Compaq Portable with no tools

Iíve seen people do all kinds of crazy things to get the outside panels off of these, but Iíve always done it with my bare hands. Iím curious to see if anyone else can do it like this also.

If not, Iíll post a video of it so you can see how I do it.

Per the top section of page 31 (PDF page 33) of the document at [here] ?

Yep! Thatís pretty much exactly how I do it.

Yeah I can do it babe handed but the plastic is old and frail and cracks sometimes when I pop palm them

I've done it before but the last time a piece snapped off my side panel so I use a screwdriver now

Iíve had pretty good luck with the plastic on mine so far (aside from the few little breaks that were there when I got the the machine that have nothing to do with it being opened). My Plus doesnít have any cracks and Iíve opened it quite a few times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I've done it before but the last time a piece snapped off my side panel so I use a screwdriver now
    Ideally one should use something wood or plastic, such as popsicle sticks, to hold the latches open while undoing the others.

I've opened mine without tools but a previous user already broke one of the places where it pops in, so it is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Ideally one should use something wood or plastic, such as popsicle sticks, to hold the latches open while undoing the others.
    I have upon occasion used the wrenches available for replacing a bicycle tire.

I've been using the metal slot covers I pulled from a couple cases I junked a while back with a piece of painter's tape on the end. They've been working perfectly for me