Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening an original Compaq Portable with no tools

Short of actual plastic trim removal tools that can be found cheap on Amazon for automobiles, use a couple of old credit cards or grocery store loyalty cards. Anything metal can mar the plastic and it will look bad over time. Bare hands risk cracking something. I've had my Portable Plus since 1986 and use and open it periodically. The case is still pristine with no marks using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by normanator View Post
    Short of actual plastic trim removal tools that can be found cheap on Amazon for automobiles, use a couple of old credit cards or grocery store loyalty cards. Anything metal can mar the plastic and it will look bad over time. Bare hands risk cracking something. I've had my Portable Plus since 1986 and use and open it periodically. The case is still pristine with no marks using this method.
    Some units may be different, but I’ve been opening my Plus and original paint with my bare hands for years and I’ve never had an issue. By using your hands (as long as you are gentle), you are essentially doing the same thing that using a tool is doing; flexing the cover up just enough to clear the catches.

I started this thread just to see if anyone else opened them by hand like I do, not to debate what the “best” way to open one was. I’d never start a thread like that, because there is no “best” way. Everyone has their own method that works best for them.

But as I’ve said, I haven’t ever had a single issue doing this, and will continue to use this method on my Portables.