Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper Tape

Super glue doesn't flex, so it's not good for paper tape splicing. When I was a telex operator back in my service days we did a *lot* of splicing, and we never had any problems. We used a paper glue from, I think, Casco, but I'm not certain - the shape (a bottle with applicator) was exactly like in this picture, but the label was different. A very common glue as I recall, it could be found in any paper/book store. https://www.casco.eu/global/casco/?pc=96&p=623

In a #5XBAR telephone switch long distance call records were punched onto oiled paper tape that was about 5 inches wide. Tape was fed into the AMA Recorder (punch) from a magazine that held about a day's worth of tape. The trailer of that magazine fed into a backup magazine so the recorder had access to as much as two days of tape. When a magazine emptied it was refilled and the header was spliced to the trailer of the other magazine. The splicer lined up the header, a strip of plastic about 1/4" wide, and the trailer, then used a heater pressed down onto the tape/plastic/tape sandwich to fuse them together.

Here's a link to a wiki page that has a picture of the AMA Recorder's punch head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...age_accounting
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

Terry, I thought about making a continuous tape, but sometimes there are odd characters at the end of a punched tape which screws up the reader. Besides I want to have a dozen MAINDEC files on one tape. I would probably screw up something trying to make a perfect run of that. As Tor mentioned, I think that splice flexibility is the key. With this in mind maybe the Elmer's glue is not as good as I previously thought. I does get a little hard after drying. Maybe Scotch tape would work better. I looked at the RX Original glue, but didn't see where a guy could purchase any. I suppose that I'll buy a few brands of glue and experiment with them. Thanks for the help, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    Maybe Scotch tape would work better.
    Ordinary cellophane scotch transparent tape will dry out and separate from the adhesive
    I just went through the joy of reading over a 1000 paper tapes from the 1950's where every splice had dried out

Library tape would be better, or an oversplice with rubber cement

As others have mentioned, oiled tape is a problem.
    I've never run across oiled fan-fold
    Unfortunately, fan-fold paper tape went out of production decades ago and is
    impossible to find at a reasonable price now
    Even unoiled roll tape is difficult. That has disappeared when companies like
    Western Numerical Control shut down a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    Terry, I thought about making a continuous tape, but sometimes there are odd characters at the end of a punched tape which screws up the reader. Besides I want to have a dozen MAINDEC files on one tape. I would probably screw up something trying to make a perfect run of that.
    I assume the reason you can't punch them all at once is due to them being larger than the memory capacity of your PDP-8?

How about punching the individual ones and splicing them with whatever will hold together long enough for you to run them through your reader, and use a reader-to-punch copy program to punch a continuous version? Then you can remove the splices from the original and save those as individual diagnostics, but still have the "one big roll" that you are aiming for?

Scotch Tape does separate over time. I have a bunch of old pictures in albums where the tape has failed. But that was the old celluloid tape, wouldn't you think the new stuff is better? Problem with the tape is the holes. Glue or cement has to be better. I think that Terry has the best idea. I'll add rubber cement to the list of items to try. Thanks Mike

For anyone interested, I tried a few different glues to splice paper tape and found that contact cement, in my opinion, works the best. It seems to have strength and is the most flexible of the glues I tried. All of the glues, except the contact and rubber cements would harden and become inflexible. This hard spot would not run through the reader head very well. So to that end I tried to make the splice smaller. I found that about 1/4' to 3/8" overlap of the tape had enough strength and also allowed the splice to pass through the reader head the best. These are the glues I tried;
    Yellow wood glue
    Hide glue
    Elmer's glue
    Crazy glue
    Rubber cement
    Contact cement
    I may try a few others if I spot another type of glue at the hardware store, but the contact cement remained flexible even after it dried for a week. The rubber cement I tried didn't dry completely and I was concerned about gumming up the reader. So, now to make the MAINDEC paper tape, or maybe a couple of them, there are quite a few! Hope everyone had a good Christmas and here's hoping we will still be here for the next one. Mike

Related question... Where do you get NOS/blank paper tape?