Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tossing around the idea of a PPro again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    From a 32bit gaming stand point would a 1mb l2 or 512mb l2 CPU be worth getting. From the way I look at it would be since I'm not going to be doing and Overclocking. ...
    About 15 years ago I built exactly this kind of system for my kids to play games; loaded Windows 2000 on it, and it worked ok. Nothing to write home about, and it definitely felt slower than a K6/2-500 felt in the same time frame, but I had all the parts and made it work. EDIT: Forgot to mention that the system I built had a four-disk RAID5, using some 4GB Seagate SCSI drives. Wasn't quite as loud as the first stab I took, which was a 5.25 inch full-height 11GB Seagate.

Also what would you say is a good 96-97 scsi raid card is? Anything to look for? This is a time frame I'm not all to well vested in, 1 or 2 years newer or older and I would know what to get.
    96? Mylex DAC960, PCI version. I have an EISA one if you're interested in EISA...... and I might still have a PCI one in a DEC AlphaServer 2100 I have lying about here. There are plenty of these on eBay for low money.

I'll need a full size AT board for my system. Any suggestions? Places to look for information on the old socket 8 boards
    Supermicro made several of these in AT form factor. I have a P6DNE here with some battery damage, but both VRMs; in fact, it's the one from the machine I built my kids (I ended up swapping them an old Sony Viao 1.4GHz Athlon laptop, which was much nicer for their games). Here's a photo I just took:
    20181218-p6dne.jpg
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Or try and get one of those ALR 6x6 systems... years ago they were on eBay just about every week and cheap LOL. Wonder what happened to those systems, they were very very cool!
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Denniske1976 View Post
    Or try and get one of those ALR 6x6 systems... years ago they were on eBay just about every week and cheap LOL. Wonder what happened to those systems, they were very very cool!
    ohh, I'll take one of those, with overdrives, no make that 2.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Blog Entries

PPro overdrives were limited to 4 way boards, for 6 or more you are stuck with regular PPros.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    PPro overdrives were limited to 4 way boards, for 6 or more you are stuck with regular PPros.
    nope, the ALR 6x6 supported overdrives all 6 of them.
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=878654
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.

Blog Entries

Well the chip is a P2 XEON and I googled this:

It was supported by the 440GX dual-processor workstation chipset and the 450NX quad- or octo-processor chipset.

So while Intel didn't support more then 2 overdrives in a system I can see why they would work.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    So while Intel didn't support more then 2 overdrives in a system I can see why they would work.
    Same here. But ALR did something that lets you use 4 or more in one system, I seen a few other ALR systems with quad overdrives too.