Image Map Image Map

Thread: Ibm system/36 pc 5364 cable

Talking Ibm system/36 pc 5364 cable

Good Morning to all,
    a friend of mine has retrieved an IBM 5160XT and an IBM 5364 S/36 PC. We think the XT was the original console for the S/36, since it has an ISA card with a 62-pin D Connector (same as the one on S/36).

Now he' s working to restart the 5160 (which seems alive), so he can retrieve the software from the hdd and make a backup.

Next step is to connect the XT to the S/36, but there's no cable. I searched and found some 62-pins - three rows cables on Amazon at a very reasonable price - but the problem is..."which kind of cable is this"???

Straight, twisted, fantasy-mixed pins - I cannot find a pinout of this thing, even if I found some interesting manuals of the 5364.
    So I'm asking to other 5364 owners - do you know what kind of cable it is?

This is a rare system and I'd like to help my friend to start it at least (because using it - if it works - would be a total different work). Plus, we live in two different towns and it's a real challenge!!!

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Davide

The cable used is a 62 pin straight through cable. It's the same one used with the IBM 5161 Expansion Unit. I would double check the card as it might be for the expansion unit as well. Do you have a picture?

Hi , thank you for your fast answer! I'll ask for a specific photo of the card (I've only one photo - but is focused on the rear connector). Thanks!

You can purchase a double male 62 pin cable from Mouser that works. I will look back for the part number.
    Amphenol CS-DSDHD62MM0-015 62-Pin HD62 Deluxe D-Sub Cable, Shielded, Male/Male, 15 ft Gray.
    They also come in 2.5 and 5ft.

You will need the console software for the 5160 before you can connect to the 5364. I can send you Images to create them. There are 4 disks in the set, but I can send you a bootable floppy with the correct options set.

I have the same setup up and running PM me if you need help.

I also have the complete SSP OS imaged, you can use Dave Dunfield’s Image Dist to create the 5 1/4 disks for the 5364.

Jimmy
    Last edited by Jimmy; December 21st, 2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Mouser part 923-PCL-10162-1E