Image Map Image Map

Thread: WANTED: Keyboard for IBM XT/286 (5162)

Default WANTED: Keyboard for IBM XT/286 (5162)

Need a keyboard for an XT model 286,
    EBay wants, like, $90 for one of those!

Doesn't that take a standard AT keyboard? Are you looking for an 84 key model or 101?

Not sure, what's the difference between the two?
    And i though i read somewhere that it actually uses the PC/XT standard, although i can't confirm that. It would almost surprise me if it does, considering how much it shares in common with the AT

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Doesn't that take a standard AT keyboard? Are you looking for an 84 key model or 101?
    Of course IBMs own technical reference for the XT286 doesn’t say anything helpful like don’t try and use your XT/PC keyboard but it does reference the system request key, which was introduced on the AT so you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Doesn't that take a standard AT keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    Of course IBMs own technical reference for the XT286 doesnít say anything helpful like donít try and use your XT/PC keyboard but it does reference the system request key, which was introduced on the AT so you may be right.
    Unlike what IBM's marketing team wanted customers to believe, the IBM XT/286 (5162) is an AT-class computer.
    It uses an AT-class keyboard.

It'll work with any AT-class keyboard - or a PS/2 keyboard through a simple mini-DIN to DIN adaptor.

Blog Entries

Generally a ps/2 kb can be substituted for an AT one. But there are exceptions. Notably in my experience the circa 2000 Microsoft ergonomic model. I can't remember which computer I tried it with, possibly that particular computer was picky for some unknown reason.

Unless you want the computer/keyboard to look authentic, all you need is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Keyb.../dp/B0016RTMQE

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    And i though i read somewhere that it actually uses the PC/XT standard, although i can't confirm that. It would almost surprise me if it does, considering how much it shares in common with the AT
    Several of the following replies confirmed my suspicion that the XT/286 uses an AT protocol. There are two major varieties of IBM keyboards marketed with AT systems. The original is the IBM Model F AT keyboard.
    ibm model f 84 key keyboard.jpg
    The other is the now-immortal Model M keyboard, which which I expect you are already familiar. I have a Model 5170 myself, but would love to have a Model F keyboard to go with it, although a Model M might be more appropriate, given it's a later model 8Mz motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Several of the following replies confirmed my suspicion that the XT/286 uses an AT protocol. There are two major varieties of IBM keyboards marketed with AT systems. The original is the IBM Model F AT keyboard.
    ibm model f 84 key keyboard.jpg
    The other is the now-immortal Model M keyboard, which which I expect you are already familiar. I have a Model 5170 myself, but would love to have a Model F keyboard to go with it, although a Model M might be more appropriate, given it's a later model 8Mz motherboard.

A working IBM Model M runs $90 easy, so that's not unreasonable. A working Model F runs $200 or more, due to rarity. You can buy a brand new Model M from Unicomp, but it has a PS/2 connector.

If you are willing to settle for a Model M clone, your choices open up considerably. For example, over here one of my clone keyboards is a Sejin SKR-2033. It's not buckling-spring; it seems to be a cross between a rubber dome & mechanical switch. I like it well enough. It even has Windows keys.

Here's a current auction on eBay. Missing F1 key, but the price isn't too bad.