Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB 2.0, CT1336A, and CMS upgrade

Default SB 2.0, CT1336A, and CMS upgrade

It was considered impossible.
    But now there's this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-CM...A/283307302605
    Can anybody confirm that it actually works?

I remember reading about an attempt to reverse-engineer the PAL (the 2 CMS chips were apparently easy to get, but the custom PAL chip was not), so I'm guessing that effort was a success and this is the result?

No.
    Both the original CMS upgrade from Creative, and the clone reverse-engineered by Chuck(G) fail to work with SB 2.0 with CT1336A bus interface chip - https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com...s-upgrade.html

Now, that seller on Ebay claims he's done something "improved"... well, I think I'm going to wait for somebody volunteer to test it on himself

My mistake, that was exactly the article I remember reading, and indeed it says that CT1366A is a problem. I should take a look at my inventory of Sound Blasters and see what versions of CT1366 they have. If I have any CT1366A models I might take a chance on this myself.

edit: as it happens my notes indicate I have two CT1350B Sound Blaster 2.0's, one with a v2.01 DSP and the other with a v2.02. I assume the v2.02 will be paired with a CT1366A but I haven't looked at the physical cards yet.
    Last edited by kgober; December 19th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    It was considered impossible.
    But now there's this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-CM...A/283307302605
    Can anybody confirm that it actually works?
    I can't say anything about this particular seller's offerings. However I can tell you for certain that original Creative chips exist that are compatible with the CT-1336A. I bought a CT-1350B w/CT-1336A chip from someone on eBay last year, that had an authentic set of C/MS chips installed. I asked the seller to test the Game Blaster mode with Test Drive III, which he did. Said it worked fine. So I snapped up the card. When it arrived, I installed it in my Amstrad Mega PC, and... sure enough, Game Blaster music works 100%. Surprised the heck out of me.
    WANTED: Covox Sound Master, IBM 3D Sound PCMCIA
    Please contact me if you have either of these for sale! Thanks.

Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdderSF View Post
    I can't say anything about this particular seller's offerings. However I can tell you for certain that original Creative chips exist that are compatible with the CT-1336A. I bought a CT-1350B w/CT-1336A chip from someone on eBay last year, that had an authentic set of C/MS chips installed. I asked the seller to test the Game Blaster mode with Test Drive III, which he did. Said it worked fine. So I snapped up the card. When it arrived, I installed it in my Amstrad Mega PC, and... sure enough, Game Blaster music works 100%. Surprised the heck out of me.
    If the other features - especially FM - work as well, there's probably one explanation: there were two variants of the Creative upgrade, or - more precisely - two variants of the PAL chip.
    One of the variants has been reverse-engineered by Chuck(G).
    That guy from Slovakia has either reverse-engineered the other variant, or recreated its functionality independently.

If the other features - especially FM - work as well, there's probably one explanation: there were two variants of the Creative upgrade, or - more precisely - two variants of the PAL chip.
    That guy from Slovakia has either reverse-engineered the other variant, or recreated its functionality independently.
    Yes, Ad Lib + DAC work fine on my card too. Part of the reason I bought it was in case someone wanted to have a crack @ reverse-engineering it. But Chuck(G) wasn't available for it, neither was anyone else I contacted. If this Slovakian guy managed to reverse-engineer it, that's great. Another sound card "mystery" solved.
    WANTED: Covox Sound Master, IBM 3D Sound PCMCIA
    Please contact me if you have either of these for sale! Thanks.

Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Hi, I am that guy from Slovakia

Yes, I've recreated the functionality from scratch.
    Also, there is a very simple fix to make the SB 2.0 compatible with systems without the −5V power line.
    Can you spot it?
    _ND39016ex2.jpg
    There are two variants of the fix, one is destructive and the second is non-destructive. This is the non-destructive one.

You are using a different OPL3 DIP chip? Because the original is 3812.
    THE BIOS MASTER

Quote Originally Posted by Robin4 View Post
    You are using a different OPL3 DIP chip? Because the original is 3812.
    no, creative put those FM1312 stickers on the chips a lot back then for some reason.