Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newer IDE HDD in Packard Bell 301CD

Default Newer IDE HDD in Packard Bell 301CD

Picked up a Packard Bell 301CD from my local e-waste yard, and am trying to bring it back to life. I have a newer IDE hard disc, a Maxtor 40GB pulled from an old Emac. I've formatted the disc to a 2 GB "FAT" partition on my new Windows 10 computer, with the rest of the HDD as unallocated space. However, the computer freezes on the boot screen when this HDD is connected. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way I can set up this newer IDE HDD for this old computer? Thanks!

Do you have the IDE cable in the correct orientation? The red line on an IDE cable is pin 1. Also, I suggest that you check the BIOS to see if its set to automatically detect the hard drive and format the hard drive using the Packard Bell itself since older systems get picky when the hard drive is formatted on another machine and a newer OS will have FATEx as another format.
    Current retro systems:
    Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus
    Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT, 2x IBM ThinkPad 380D (TFT and DSTN)
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, iMac G4/800 Lampshade
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Th issue is not the 2GB partition; the BIOS is choking on the drive. Chances are it can't handle anything over 8.4GB, even with a DDO.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    Do you have the IDE cable in the correct orientation? The red line on an IDE cable is pin 1. Also, I suggest that you check the BIOS to see if its set to automatically detect the hard drive and format the hard drive using the Packard Bell itself since older systems get picky when the hard drive is formatted on another machine and a newer OS will have FATEx as another format.
    Thanks for the tip. I turned off auto detect and it is now detecting the hard drive. Is there a partition maker/manager you would recommend me downloading and using to create a usable partition on the drive? Where could I download it? Preferably I'd like to boot it off of a floppy disc.

Entered the Amount of cylinders, heads, and sectors into the bios, and sat the jumpers to the "Master" position. The computer now recognises the drive, but Partition Magic cannot format a partition on it, it returns an error and doesn't let me continue. If I try and let the MS-DOS installer partition the drive, it just freezes. Any thoughts?

I have a CD15 that didn't want to play nice with my 16Gb CF card I was using. Bought a 4 Gig off ebay and it worked perfectly from then on out. I don't think those BIOS like anything much bigger to be honest.

You can’t auto detect the drive.

Manually set the parameters to something the pc likes and try again

Blog Entries

One more thing--I suspect that Win10 doesn't write a real DOS partition table startup code or boot sector on the partition.

Boot from floppy and use the DOS tools to set it up. You may run into 8.4GB issues as noted by others. Some drives do have a jumper to limit the reported size to 8GB--see if you can find a jumper guide.

I've had pretty good luck in similar cases just using fdisk on the Windows 98 boot disk to make the partitions. Windows 10 and 7 don't create dos partitions very reliably in my experience

Blog Entries

A 40GB IDE drive probably supports a CHS geometry of 63 sectors/track and 256 heads/cylinder; so you can go into your BIOS setup and dial in that geometry with 1024 cylinders and get your 8GB without having to rely on "auto" detection.
    Then use DOS FDISK and FORMAT to complete the job.

FWIW, it's usually best to stick with DOS/Win9X if you're fooling with FAT16 or FAT32 partition types. Even GPARTED doesn't write out the DOS boot code correctly.