Image Map Image Map

Thread: My new Soyo SY-5EMA+ V1.0 Build

Blog Entries

Default My new Soyo SY-5EMA+ V1.0 Build

I recently purchased a NIB Socket 7 Soyo SY-5EMA. It's sole purpose in life will be a late 90's gamer. I'm initially setting it up with WIN98SE but would like to bump it up to W2K providing I can find a good copy of the BIOS upgrade; i.e., 5EMPVEA1.BIN, from about 2001. So, if anyone out there has this board and been through the upgrade routine, I would appreciate any tips and/or pointers. Thanks in advance.

"Yesterday's cutting edge is tomorrow's vintage".
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Not a bad board that, built a few systems with those in 2000ish. Great find getting one NIB. They will make an excellent 98SE machine but I've run Windows 2000 and XP on these boards with the original BIOS, no need to upgrade.

However although they will run 2000/XP I'm not sure that's a good plan with your intended purpose as a late 90's gamer. You'll lose a huge amount of support for older games and for games which actually require 2000/XP a K6-2 system is unlikely to have enough horsepower.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your interest. The SY-5EMA+V1.0 was received and proved to be defective. It was returned and I purchase a Soyo SY-5EMA which is basically the same with a few refinements. This one has onboard AGP video, 4 PCI slots as well as 1 ISA slot. It boots okay and is in the process of being mounted in the case and will soon have W98SE. More later when the full assembly is completed. I may install W2K but only as a dual booting experiment on a separate partition or HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Thanks for your interest. The SY-5EMA+V1.0 was received and proved to be defective. It was returned and I purchase a Soyo SY-5EMA which is basically the same with a few refinements. This one has onboard AGP video, 4 PCI slots as well as 1 ISA slot. It boots okay and is in the process of being mounted in the case and will soon have W98SE. More later when the full assembly is completed. I may install W2K but only as a dual booting experiment on a separate partition or HD.
    I thought the only difference on the '+' version was it had 1MB of L2 cache vs 512K on the original?

I've found in my collection a manual for an 'SY-5EMA Pro' (the board itself is long gone). Not sure how the 'Pro' version is different from the other boards, it seems identical in spec to the + (the certificates at the start are all for the + too). Maybe this was just a branding change?

Another vintage Soyo board I've love to get my hands on is the 5EH5. Had one of these as my daily driver for a few years. It's a baby AT board from 1998/99 (probably one of the last made by any vendor) but has an AGP slot and also USB making it just as capable as the ATX systems that had become prevalent by then. Used to turn a few heads when people thought I had an old 486 based on the case but then saw it running Quake III!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    I thought the only difference on the '+' version was it had 1MB of L2 cache vs 512K on the original?

I've found in my collection a manual for an 'SY-5EMA Pro' (the board itself is long gone). Not sure how the 'Pro' version is different from the other boards, it seems identical in spec to the + (the certificates at the start are all for the + too). Maybe this was just a branding change?

Another vintage Soyo board I've love to get my hands on is the 5EH5. Had one of these as my daily driver for a few years. It's a baby AT board from 1998/99 (probably one of the last made by any vendor) but has an AGP slot and also USB making it just as capable as the ATX systems that had become prevalent by then. Used to turn a few heads when people thought I had an old 486 based on the case but then saw it running Quake III!
    I must have been tired when I posted the above (happens quite often lately). The replacement board is a SY-5SSM V1.1. The manual is online in PDF form. Sorry for the confusion.

Come on man! We need pictures of this build!
    Collector of socket 3, 5, 7, and 8 CPU's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dan951 View Post
    Come on man! We need pictures of this build!
    Will be glad to send pics when I can get a board that stays up for a while. This build is on its 3rd board! The 1st one was a Compaq 7900 which was DOA. The second one was a Soyo advertised as NIB, which it wasn't, and it too was DOA. Ebay just returned my money last night for that one. The latest board did post and held a lot of promise but the onboard floppy/HDD controller took a dump and it won't fully complete the POST. So, I supposedly have a 30 day warranty on that one, but have been unable to get the seller to respond. Looks like I'll need to get eBay involved and I must say, they've been pretty good lately.

This build will hopefully get back on track soon. It must be my turn in the barrel for builds, as I've never had this many problem boards back-to-back. More updates later and thanks for your interest.

Wow! That's quite a ride you are on... I'm always skeptical of sellers who claim 20 year old components are NIB. Hope you can get one soon. I have a Soyo and Asus socket 370 board and love them dearly.
    Collector of socket 3, 5, 7, and 8 CPU's.