Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Solaris versions

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    The only problem with BSD-on-SPARC is that support for graphics acceleration is somewhat limited
    A bunch of reverse-engineering work on gpx was done for MAME, hopefully some of that will make it to *BSD.

I tried bringing the last SPARC Linux up a few months ago. It was painfully slow.

Oh and the E3.5K CPUs are all 336 MHz.

And someone robbed the UPA graphics cards out of the Ultra30 before it wound up in my hands. Unfortunate.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

For the SparcStation 20, 2.5.1 will give you the most hardware support in the least amount of memory. No real reason to run 2.6.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Actually tried to load 2.5.1 on both the IPX and SS20. I burned the ISO from archive.org (and WinWorld but was same ISO). However I couldn't get OB3 to start it. Kept saying the label was invalid. On the IPX, tried all variations of 'boot sd(0,6,0)', and 'boot sd(,6,0)' and target 2 'boot sd(0,6,2)' and 'boot sd(,6,2)'. No luck. The CDROM was recognized in probe-scsi and was address 6 target 0. When I would try boot, it would pulse the access light before erroring out. Do I need a floppy to boot-strap it? 2.4 had the same issue. Same problem on the SS20 with 'boot cdrom' An original Solaris 2.7 Sun CD booted in the same drive just fine with the same commands.

-Alan
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I'd poke around and see if you can get other slightly different images of 2.5.1 just to test. I know I had to try a couple different rips of SunOS 4.1.4 before I found one that my SS2 wanted to get along with.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

I have never booted Sun hardware off of floppy (I started in the early 90s) and I used to administer those, so I'm guessing either the rip is bad, or the drive you're using can't read burned CDs (which is sometimes common). One old wives' tale is to burn the CDROM at the slowest speed possible -- see if that helps?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

When I had an IPX back in the late 90s, I ran 2.5.1 on it (with openwindows, even. Much more pleasant than CDE) from an original install kit. I agree with the possibility that the drive can't boot from burned CDs, I've had that problem a lot with older drives on my older AXP. You may want to scout around for a cheap install kit on ebay, or possibly some NOS 650mb CD-Rs (the 700mb ones are unreadable on many drives through the late 90s).

If you do decide to ditch the IPX, drop me a PM.

Blog Entries

I don't think it should matter, but I've run into that multiple times over the years myself, even very recently. If I cared to take the time and waste some CDRs, I could probably nail it down. I've got a Phillips CDD-2600 which *might* be legitimately succeptible to this.

A couple weeks ago, I burnt 5 CDRs at high speed, and two failed to read (but read just fine in several other drives). Upon retrying at 6x, both worked. But this is hardly scientific. The speed might not actually be the issue.

It sounds like you and I had similar experience with these machines. I *should* still have a Sparcstation 20 with a floppy drive (might have given it away). If so, I'll have to try booting from a floppy if I ever get round to fixing the NVRAM. (Good grief, Gboard automatically suggested NVRAM. That's spooky.)