Image Map Image Map

Thread: Teledisk woes

Blog Entries

Default Teledisk woes

Okay so, I was looking forward to creating a bootdisk for my MD-3 and watching it go. Unfortunately the only images of its boot disks I've found are in teledisk format, and teledisk seems to be.. er.. finicky.

I tried several different versions. None work properly on my Pentium 3 running DOS 5. I'm guessing this has something to do with FM controller compatibility.

I was working off the assumption here that I need two working floppy drives - one containing the teledisk image, and the other to be written to. At the moment I only have one vintage machine running that meets that qualification - my PCjr. I gave that a go but of course teledisk caused a 'out of memory' error. I then had a lightbulb go on and used my Quadram's "PC" switch to put the PCjr in to PC mode. That allowed teledisk to run, but no matter what I tried with writing a disk, zippo. It would just freeze or crash in some random place.

I'm assuming a) I cannot run teledisk on anything newer like a P3 machine, and b) that I need a vintage, full IBM PC or compatible to pull this off? And c) it must have dual drives, as I assume it has to swap back and forth, reading the image as it goes?

I have a few machines that meet the dual disk criterion.. two are Commodore PC-10s, although one no longer boots. The other I have to replace the line filter cap on before we can attempt using it again.

The last is my original 5150... but one of its floppy drives is gimped.

Are my assumptions above correct? Any other clever ways to make this happen? Or skip teledisk altogether with an IMG of the Morrow disks, which I've yet to find but maybe someone has?

Any out of the box ideas I'm not thinking of? The Morrow is definitely working... it pops up the insert disk prompt on my terminal. I've no idea if the drives in it actually work properly though.

Blog Entries

Well, you should be fine--I've run TD on a P4 without issue. However, you're best off putting the .TD0 file on a hard disk and working off of that. 2-floppy access can get to be a bit squirrely. Note that IMD doesn't like the floppy-to-floppy configuration either.

At least that's what I recall.

When you try to write the disk, does it say the source was FM or MFM? If it is MFM it should probably work.

You can use TESTFDC included with imagedisk to find out for certain if your FDC supports FM.

You never want to run teledisk or imagedisk from a floppy drive. These programs talk directly to the FDC, bypassing DOS. While the programs are running DOS can not reliably access either floppy drive. If you try to run these from a floppy drive, you will sort of pull the rug out from under yourself and go boom.

On a Pentium class machine you should have plenty of RAM to create a RAMdisk. You can boot from a floppy, create a ramdisk, and temporarily copy the program and image files in to the ramdisk. Of course, a hard drive with a FAT or FAT32 partition is much, much more preferable.

Blog Entries

The source appears to be FM.

I just tried running teledisk from the C: drive on this P3 machine (running DOS 5.0).. but no dice. It reads in the image, engages the floppy and then dies.

I guess I'll have to drag my AT out of its cubby hole. Ungh!

Blog Entries

TD and ImageDisk (Dave Dunfield) run fine on generic PMMX machines. Never ran them on anything faster.

Blog Entries

I used imgdisk to do new Hyperion disks on my P3. Worked fine. But yeah.. teledisk just doesn't get along for some reason.

Please make a test of your *.td0 file with tdcheck.

http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/...md3/index.html

Blog Entries

Think we ought to tell them who wrote TD?

You don't have to tell me.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step