Image Map Image Map

Thread: Merry Vintage Computer Christmas 2018

Default Merry Vintage Computer Christmas 2018

Ran into this fun article of kids opening their 1980s computer classics.

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/291990...s-on-christmas

Anyone have photos of you with your systems when you were young? I have found none myself.

Wow, very cool. Yeah Im with you, dont think there are any photos of me young with computers either. I really hated getting my picture taken as a kid; not to fond of it now actually.
    Kevin got an SX-64? Rich kid!

These were fun to look at.

Yes, the photo of the SX-64 is funny. The younger sibling is looking on like, "Man, I got the short end of the stick this Christmas." LOL

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    Yes, the photo of the SX-64 is funny. The younger sibling is looking on like, "Man, I got the short end of the stick this Christmas." LOL
    Haha, I noticed that too! I assumed his older brother was hogging it to himself. Even the older kid had a look of disinterest slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    Neither one of them look too excited about the sx-64.. honestly the c64 would have be a better gift, and cheaper, I bet that thing hardly got used
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Neither one of them look too excited about the sx-64.. honestly the c64 would have be a better gift, and cheaper, I bet that thing hardly got used
    If it was for them and not Dad needs a portable and the kids only get to bang on it while returns are still possible.

The SX was being dumped by 84 or 85 on QVC or HSN (I forget which existed back then) for cheaper than a 64+1541. That's how a lot of them got out there... I think they were $399, then $349, then even less at the end.

I was a child of the 80s and can still remember getting my first ever home computer! It wasnt actually a Christmas Present for me though, my Dads best mate who lived a couple of doors away had an Oric-1 49K and when I used to go around there I took a shine to it and then at some point it was gifted to me! My Dad got a second-hand TV (one of those old CRT things made of wood and not plastic) and we'd spend hours taking it in turns to copy a game from a book written in BASIC (along with de-bugging all the spelling mistakes we'd made) and then finally saving the finished game to tape to save having to type it all in again!

I still have the Oric-1 (never had the box for it) and the book that we used to get the BASIC games from!