Image Map Image Map

Thread: DEC the Halls with Old Time Hardware!

Default DEC the Halls with Old Time Hardware!

All I want for Christmas is a PDP-11/93!

Merry Christmas, all!

-Ken

I would rather have an 11/94...
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

We might all rather have an 11/74MP (but our wives may have something to say about that!)

Merry Christmas,
    Lou

PS. I played with HP stuff today. I replaced the ST-506 in my HP9135A with David's MFM disk emulator. It works great!

Default DEC the Halls with Old Time Hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by kenwickvs View Post
    All I want for Christmas is a PDP-11/93!

Merry Christmas, all!

-Ken
    Ken,
    I didn't get an 11/93 for Christmas, but my wonderful wife got me the closest thing I can think of to it, a Mentec M100-04. It was the last of the J11 chip based boards with hardware FPP, 4 DL ports, and 4 MB of cacheless high speed memory. I put it in my BA23 box with an Emulex UC07 connected to two SCSI2SD cards for mirrored system and user disks and a DELQA-T for DECnet/HECnet, TCP/IP, & LAT. It draws less than 100 watts on a small UPS for 7/24/365 operation. The M100 runs RSX11M+ perfectly and performs various benchmarks from 9% to 30% faster than the my 11/83.

I do agree with Lou that an 11/74MP would be great, but this year John Wilson and Johnny Billquist did get E11 running 11/74MP in a stable dual processor mode, so MIM is now running as an 11/74MP and one can see what a RSX11M+ PDP-11/74MP system was like.

Merry Christmas,
    Mark

Mark,
    Where did you find a wife like that? She's a keeper. Hope you got her something as cool!

Perhaps your story is similar to mine: A few years ago I bought a bright red Pig cooker, put a big bow on it and asked my wife to come outside and see what she got me for Christmas! She was very happy with that. Me too.

Ken

I've got myself a sweet external RX02 drive for my 8M this xmas...
    And my 8m is respected in the living room as well along with some other historic stuff
    WTB: Dec TU56 / Case for Altair 8800

Quote Originally Posted by kenwickvs View Post
    Mark,
    Where did you find a wife like that? She's a keeper. Hope you got her something as cool!

Perhaps your story is similar to mine: A few years ago I bought a bright red Pig cooker, put a big bow on it and asked my wife to come outside and see what she got me for Christmas! She was very happy with that. Me too.

Ken
    Ken,
    She is a keeper for sure. Iíll admit the story of the M100-04 is a bit like yours, in that she didnít actually pick it out for me. The one thing that was her idea that made a big difference in my hobby is that she said why donít you convert the family room in the basement to a place for your vintage computer hobby.

It probably gives me a little to much room in that I have collected more stuff than I have time to get it running. I do have all the Qbus PDP-11s and MicroVaxes running but the Unibus PDP-11s are a challenge. Also I have two 9 track tape drives and a RX02 that need attention.

Merry Christmas,
    Mark

Blog Entries

During this holiday week, my wife helped me move accumulated treasures from two 10' x10' storage lockers into one 10' x20' locker twenty minutes closer to home. Plus she's put up with me and similar shenanigans for 40+ years. Not only a holiday present - but a gift that (who) keeps on giving!

Jack