Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Millennials!

Its more or less " in with the new and out with the old" but its still fun to joke about it.

I'm Gen-X and remember being asked once why we were so self-absorbed. I work with lots of folks including many Millenials. My view is that youth can be wasted by many just as wisdom can be earned. Be nice to them folks; they are going to be in charge of the country and taking care of all of us sometime in the next 30 years! Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Funny thread.

While I agree that you can't make generalizations about a certain generation, there are some commonalities to a generation that is how they create the generation classification. Obviously not all people fall into that classification but much of it comes from the shared experiences of the decades they group up with. Shared experiences such as 9/11, the internet, the cold war, prohibition, Vietnam, etc.

For myself, I will say that I personally do fit into much of the gen-x classification, and I was raised by .. uhh, whatever generation was before baby boomers. I do have to admit I have many issues with the baby boomer generation (not every baby boomer, but the commonality of the generation) and any complaints about millennials are generally due to the way many baby boomers raised then (super over protective, everyone's a winner, etc).

Obviously gen-x has issues too (overly cynical, distrusting, more greed focused, less likely to participate in "groups" / less social), but there aren't as many of us anyway so I think we add a good balance to the two larger generations.
    Boomers didn't raise Millennials, they raised Gen-X kids. Millennials are Gen-X's children. Now of course there are edge cases, but that is why it's a "generation" (30 years average).

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    Boomers didn't raise Millennials, they raised Gen-X kids. Millennials are Gen-X's children. Now of course there are edge cases, but that is why it's a "generation" (30 years average).
    Actually a generation is typically 20 years, which is why the above generation isn't the one raising the next generation because usually you're over 20 years when you have kids. Obviously there is overlap, but more often then not, it's not the immediate previous generation.

My parents were not baby boomers. My son is not millennial, but whatever the next generation is.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by gepooljr View Post
    I'm Gen-X and remember being asked once why we were so self-absorbed.
    Haha, that might just be being young, but I think growing up in the 80s had a lot to do enhancing it at the time... I feel like we may have been worse because of the decades we grew up, but hopefully grew out of that.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

While we are making unnecessary sweeping generalizations about people, I get a kick out of listening to old people bitch about kids. Not one of them has ever realized all these problems were their fault.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by luckybob View Post
    While we are making unnecessary sweeping generalizations about people, I get a kick out of listening to old people bitch about kids. Not one of them has ever realized all these problems were their fault.
    Or realize that their parents had many of the same complaints about them when they were kids.

Also how old people always think the world was better or safer or whatever back "in the day" despite crime (specifically murder) rates showing the opposite. Every little thing is just reported now due to instant news coverage and social media.
    -- Brian

Avoiding a rant (I see a lot of right and wrong with all the generations). United we stand, divided we fall. I see a lot of divided through out the world right now.

you know with great power, comes great responsibility...

No I'm just kidding, this whole thread is just a rant...

I am only in my 40s but I have to agree young people are generally terrible, with some exceptions of course. I have no problems make sweeping generalizations, I interact with young people all the time and choose to trust my anecdotal sample of the millennial generation

Of course this is just a subjective opinion, they may actually be better at a lot of things than us Gen-Xers. And in their defense it is difficult to muck up the world more than any past generation, lol.