Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wire wrap wire

Default wire wrap wire

I was not sure where to exactly post this. I've been making wire wrapped circuit boards for many many years and have used a couple of miles of wire wrap wire. Recently I purchased a 500' roll of 30 awg wire from Page Digital. The first 25' or so was OK, but now seems that every other foot or so, the insulation is stuck on the wire. Generally, I just cut the insulation with my stripper and I can pull the insulation off with my fingers. But this stuff is so completely stuck on the wire that sometimes the wire yields. I thought of sending the wire back, but I can't find the paper work anymore. I'm wondering if there is a fix for this? I tried using heat to warm the insulation, figuring that maybe that would loosen it up, but it only softened the outside of the insulation and it even stuck together on the outside. Maybe a little too much heat. I hate to not use this wire, 500' costs. I may try freezing the wire. Maybe some hot/cold cycles would loosen it up. But aside from that, does anyone have any ideas or experiences with this problem. Thanks Mike.

Blog Entries

No, I haven't seen it. I'm assuming that you're using standard silver-plated Kynar-insulated stuff. What are you using for strippers?

I'm pretty sure that is the wire I'm using. I have a number of different colors that I use and don't have this problem with the other wire. Most is from Page Digital and some from Belden. The tools I use are from Ideal. The cutter is made to come apart and I have sharpened it a few times. Both the stripper and cutter has been replaced a few times. I have ordered a new stripper and should see it soon. Since the problem doesn't occur with the other wire, I'm pretty sure that this problem is with the particular spool of wire. Mike

Blog Entries

I've used the Micro Strip for decades. I even have a very old one with the Augat brand on it. It might make a difference for you. All of my wire-wrap wire was purchased on the industrial surplus market, so I can't comment about Page. I note that the Micro Strip ads concentrate on fiber, but they still make guides and blades for their original purpose--fine wire.

Kynar ww wire comes in two flavors--normal and "low strip force". Here's an example. Perhaps that may solve your problem.

Thanks for the reference, I'll look in to those. I toke the time to measure each of my wires insulation diameter, 0.019". Then I looked at the sheered end. The wire is concentric with the insulation. I have seen times when the cutter is dull the wire is pulled a littler prior to cutting and is bent as a hook to snare the insulation. This is not the case this time. I also looked at the strip cut. Seems all the colors except the yellow, which is the problem wire has a clean cut all the way around the insulation and you can see silver wire . The yellow doesn't always end up with a clean cut. Maybe this is part of the hang up. Maybe my new stripper will correct this. But it is also possible that the yellow insulation is not perfectly round or could the wire be a little under size in spots? So I'm not completely sure that the insulation is stuck on the wire or if the insulation is not being completely severed prior to pulling it off. I want to try a few hot/cold cycles first, hoping that the wire will expand more than the insulation and maybe bust loose. Us Social Security guys can't just toss stuff with out a few attempts at saving it. Thanks Mike

Blog Entries

I wonder if that new Radio Shack on Highway 100 sells wire-wrap wire.

I gave them a call. Turns out that this store is really a HobbyTown, but includes a Radio Shack Express. They have some select Radio Shack items. They do not have wire wrap wire. The guy told me that he could order it, but also said the Radio Shack is very spotty as to special orders, even if it is available on the web. It's not far from the house, I'll stop by when I'm near and take a look. I'm not a big fan of Radio Shack stuff, but it does have it's place on a pinch. Mike

Blog Entries

As the crow flies, I'm pretty close to that store. But drive time has to be round a half hour one way.

I was hoping they'd have the kinds of things I would expect to see in a Radio Shack, and wire wrap wire would be one of them. But I guess they have different ideas about what to stock.

Probably the kind of things I'd buy there are exactly the kind of things they won't stock. I was thinking just that the other night, dealing with some simple audio cables that I got from Amazon which are very inferior to the old ones I bought from Radio Shack.

I certainly miss the ability to drive somewhere near to pick up some parts that I'd like to have right away. There used to be a Marsh Radio, Allied, Newark and various radio repair places that would sell to the public. Mail order is OK, but I always seem to forget one or two items and have to order again, and pay more postage, or wait until I have other needs. Just a sign of the times. Progress doesn't always mean better. Mike

Blog Entries

I sure miss Marsh. My wife and I were talking about that yesterday. She used an old box I had from Marsh Electronics for a Christmas present.