Image Map Image Map
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    I've had good experience with the TL866 Plus...
    I've added a TL866II to my Amazon wish list, maybe I'll score and get one for as a gift so I don't have to agonize over the actual purchase. Drats for missing Father's Day by *that* much....

Those ATF20v10s in the 28 pin PLCC socket form factor certainly are tempting as a measure to save board real-estate, if nothing else. Ohwell. I'm sticking to the through-hole discrete plan for rev #1 because, well, I've already started climbing *that* mountain.

By the time this is all done, I think we'll both have something we'd be proud to stick in somebody else's machine
    Not letting the smoke out of my own is the initial target, of course, but we'll see.

Right now I'm agonizing about whether it would be a reasonable design shortcut to fill all of the C000h page with flash. If I did that I'd be able to use that design I cooked up in the simulator to provide the UMBs and the Flash chip with no more chips... but it'd leave no room for a network card or similar.

Start small including feature count - only adding what you know with good confidence will work. Then you can improve in v2.

Just note that once you send your first board to some one else to use (as opposed to test), it becomes harder to steer the ship. JR-IDE was pretty complete for it's first production Rev.A. I ordered 25 PCBs thinking there can't be that many PCjr's out there. Those sold as well as two more 25 runs. Then I made some minor tweaks to Rev.B mostly to change the potted DS12887 to a discrete DS12885+CR2032+XTAL. After 25 of those went, I ordered 100 more. Now I'm half way through the 3rd 25x vacuum-pack of those! I've had a Rev.C designed during most of building those with the ability to remap RAM pages as well as flash. But a) I had a box of paid for inventory and b) after Rev.B there will be nearly 200 PCjr owners I worry about irritating with a new and improved BitchinFast3D 4000. I'm sure Hargle, Andrew L., glitch, and others have their own similar experiences with XT-IDE on a larger scale (thousands!). I'm just lucky mine was a very niche audience. The EX/HX owner crowd is somewhere in between.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Fwiw I've sold at least 200 plus to isa adapters and about 75 plus to isa Riser card's.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

It'd be interesting to get some numbers on just how many EX/HX owners there are out there.

I think I'd rather go for a discrete Dallas + battery than a potted one, especially considering the vertical space constraints. Preferably a more recent model that's still easy to get.

Not letting the smoke out of my own is the initial target, of course, but we'll see.
    As long as you don't cross with either the +12v or -12v pins' (the Tandy 1000 doesn't have a -5v rail), you should be fine. Since everything is +5v logic level anyways, worst case scenario, you end up with something pulled high or low when it shouldn't be.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

5. Default

It'd be interesting to get some numbers on just how many EX/HX owners there are out there.
    I would too! And while forums are preferable for long term archival the majority of communities seem to be more vibrant on Facebook (yuck) so I created the Tandy 1000HX 1000EX Owners group on FB, might be useful for getting people in touch and swapping some information and hardware. So if you own one give it a search and join up.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    I would too! And while forums are preferable for long term archival the majority of communities seem to be more vibrant on Facebook (yuck) so I created the Tandy 1000HX 1000EX Owners group on FB, might be useful for getting people in touch and swapping some information and hardware. So if you own one give it a search and join up.
    At this rate, I might just have to make a Facebook account . I've been holding off for years
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    I think I'd rather go for a discrete Dallas + battery than a potted one, especially considering the vertical space constraints. Preferably a more recent model that's still easy to get.
    Of course. I guess I used the word Smartwatch carelessly there because the discrete chips are API compatible. The "modern" option is the DS1315, which is what I bought. The 5v logic version is supposed to be pin compatible with the older 1215/16.

Still waiting for the darn things. My RAM chips did finally arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    Fwiw I've sold at least 200 plus to isa adapters and about 75 plus to isa Riser card's.
    That is genuinely impressive. I figured there were probably plenty of these machines sitting in closets all over the world simply because Tandy did sell a ton of them, but that there's that many people actually actively using them and buying accessories is kind of a trip.

Where I'm coming from is my main goal is *not* to go into business, just to have fun making a thing. If anything I come up with incidentally turns out to be useful to anyone else that's a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    That is genuinely impressive. I figured there were probably plenty of these machines sitting in closets all over the world simply because Tandy did sell a ton of them, but that there's that many people actually actively using them and buying accessories is kind of a trip.

Where I'm coming from is my main goal is *not* to go into business, just to have fun making a thing. If anything I come up with incidentally turns out to be useful to anyone else that's a bonus.
    It continues to surprise me too - while I do have a Tindie store, it was only created because I had no nice way to manage the demand and track orders.

The Tandy 1000 adapters are just a hobby for me*, they are largely self funding these days but tbh if I added in my screw-ups I suspect I might be in the negative (just dont tell my wife).

*I'm a manager for a US based Software company during the day.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Of course. I guess I used the word Smartwatch carelessly there because the discrete chips are API compatible. The "modern" option is the DS1315, which is what I bought. The 5v logic version is supposed to be pin compatible with the older 1215/16.

Still waiting for the darn things. My RAM chips did finally arrive.
    The term "SmartWatch" might be a bit generic. I know Tandy used it, but most of the time I hear it called the RTC or something else. The one that came with my HX was a stacked unit, like a DIP socket, that held the Dallas inside it, and onto which the BIOS ROM would sit on top, and was called the "SmartWatch" by Tandy.