Image Map Image Map

Thread: Differences amongst newer CRT monitors

Blog Entries

Default Differences amongst newer CRT monitors

I've been casually looking around for a nice large screen CRT monitor. I already have a new KDS 19" (18" viewable). I managed to find a Sony 21" for peanuts, it's a drive, but researched a bit more and found out it's only 18.5" viewable. Not worth it to me, even if it is a Sony. I've had older trinitron workstation monitors, even have 2 17" models here. But are they really worth the trouble? Has anyone had the opportunity to view something mediocre like a KDS next to a Sony? I know there are other factors to consider, refresh rate, flicker, color fidelity, whatever. But just in terms of image quality, i.e what hits your face when you're playing a game say, does a Sony tube blow everything else out of the water? Not just games, just day to day use, not what a discriminating graphic artist would require.

I don't have anything to display on my 17"/units currently, so in case this sounds like a stupid question please bear with me. Back in the day when I used to deal with a lot of monitors, the Sony's I would find, usually rebranded, did have striking image quality. But I'm assuming or at least allowing for monitor quality in general improving, in the last years CRTs were made. From the little I've used the KDS, I'm not terribly impressed. But I also havent seen a big Sony in ages.

I will say out of all of the more modern CRT monitors I've tried, The one Sony I have definitely blows the rest out of the water in terms of color, contrast, and overall picture clarity.

It has one downside, though. Crap geometry. I've made all the adjustments I can think of (including messing with the correction magnets and making adjustments over the serial calibration port) and just can't get the lines perfectly straight. Maybe it needs a re-cap to perform properly. I don't know. It's just so disappointing because in every other aspect it's so much better than my other monitors, but it's hard to overlook geometry as bad as this one has.

Blog Entries

I hate to be a pain, but what others have you tried?

I use to buy, for resale, every 19" fixed frequency monitor I could find. When I finally got nice Sony's, specifically the rebranded IBMers, can't remember the specific model number, omgosh they were terrific. The average run of the mill gdm-1950s weren't as good. Maybe they were just worn out?

I brought one of the IBM units home, and initially couldn't get it to sync up to a Mac. Maybe the cable was fumbly? Then it happened ... I nearly fell over. And to think I scrapped them in a fit of rage. I really want to cry.

I have a MAG monitor from 2004 that is spectacular. It's perfect in every way except it's not a very large picture and its very heavy. But colors are bright, colorful, sharp at any resolution, it has any geometry or image settings you can image, and the blacks - oh my goodness the blacks - are as black as any modern AMOLED. Nice for screensavers like starfield.

EDIT: I found they're still for sale on ebay - the MAG 786N. There appears to be a 19" version "968N" that might work just as well.... I kind of really want one now
    Last edited by Caleb Hansberry; December 26th, 2018 at 10:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmetal88 View Post
    I will say out of all of the more modern CRT monitors I've tried, The one Sony I have definitely blows the rest out of the water in terms of color, contrast, and overall picture clarity.

It has one downside, though. Crap geometry. I've made all the adjustments I can think of (including messing with the correction magnets and making adjustments over the serial calibration port) and just can't get the lines perfectly straight. Maybe it needs a re-cap to perform properly. I don't know. It's just so disappointing because in every other aspect it's so much better than my other monitors, but it's hard to overlook geometry as bad as this one has.
    That and the brightness creeping up to maximum all the time and needing to connect via RS232 and have the right software to reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    I have a MAG monitor from 2004 that is spectacular. It's perfect in every way except it's not a very large picture and its very heavy. But colors are bright, colorful, sharp at any resolution, it has any geometry or image settings you can image, and the blacks - oh my goodness the blacks - are as black as any modern AMOLED. Nice for screensavers like starfield.

EDIT: I found they're still for sale on ebay - the MAG 786N. There appears to be a 19" version "968N" that might work just as well.... I kind of really want one now
    It's funny you should bring that up, I just brought home a 786N for $3 from a thrift store. Picture on this one's a little dim, so it's obviously well-used, but it for sure has better geometry than my Sony and some of my OEM branded monitors. Convergence is kind of average, great in the middle and off toward the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    I hate to be a pain, but what others have you tried?
    It'd take me a while to get you a list... I will say I've generally been happier with curved-face monitors as opposed to flat-face (and my Sony is a flat-face).

Quote Originally Posted by jmetal88 View Post
    It's funny you should bring that up, I just brought home a 786N for $3 from a thrift store. Picture on this one's a little dim, so it's obviously well-used, but it for sure has better geometry than my Sony and some of my OEM branded monitors. Convergence is kind of average, great in the middle and off toward the corners.
    $3 wow what a steal! I wish thrift stores here still sold CRTs. Here in Colorado, regulations and preferences have nearly wiped out all CRTs on the market. Now people offer trash Compaqs on craigslist as "gaming monitors" for like $100 just because they're CRTs.

I'm curious who made the tube in those. Don't forget to hit that degauss button sometimes :P

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    $3 wow what a steal! I wish thrift stores here still sold CRTs. Here in Colorado, regulations and preferences have nearly wiped out all CRTs on the market. Now people offer trash Compaqs on craigslist as "gaming monitors" for like $100 just because they're CRTs.

I'm curious who made the tube in those. Don't forget to hit that degauss button sometimes :P
    I have a little bit of an addiction I think, haha. I have a hard time resisting CRTs under $10, and the thrift stores around here (specifically the DAV stores) have a lot of them. I just counted and I have five 'spares' now.