Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minus zero degrees

Default Minus zero degrees

Clearly, the popularity of my minuszerodegrees.net website has reached the point where companies are now naming products and businesses after it.

See [here] and [here].

I knew I should have trademarked it.

Congratulations!!

Have a happy holiday season, and thank you for the time and effort you have put into the one and only minus zero degrees!

Yapanese beer is pretty disgusting. Chinese beer is better.

Blog Entries

Beer - not a sip in six months, any alcohol actually. I'm pretty disillusioned with beer anyway. I won't drink Budweiser if it was free. I'm really not one to experiment. I stuck with Heineken, like when I smoked, you enjoy something lime 10% of the pack. Becks is just more bitter. I found an old book on how to make my own. Yeah right.

What exactly does the phrase minus zero degrees supposed to signify? Zero is neither a negative nor positive number. It signifies the absence of quantity. Except in computers. Those damned things. They muck everything up.
    Last edited by 2icebitn; December 27th, 2018 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    What exactly does the phrase minus zero degrees supposed to signify?
    * A tad colder than zero degrees.
    * More convincing than zero degrees: "It was really freezing here last night, getting as low as minus zero degrees."

Zero is neither a negative nor positive number.
    This is what we have to thank our mathematics teachers for; they have no imagination. They need to think 'outside the sphere' and cater for the other universes out there.

I've already told the chief scientists working on fusion power, that if they use -0 in their equations instead of 0, everything will start to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Congratulations!!
    Thanks. I'm just now waiting for the -0 beer royalties to come flowing (literally) in.

Blog Entries

I'm still lost. But I'll thank you for not correcting my horrible grammar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Yapanese beer is pretty disgusting. Chinese beer is better.
    I sure drank a lot of Kirin and Asahi in my younger days while stationed in Japan. Always thought it to be pretty good. Disgusting is pretty harsh.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I'm still lost.
    Minus zero degrees is real. In fact, my first doctorate thesis (which was in physics) was based on proving it.

It was a collaborative effort between me and and University of Australia. I reasoned that if a digital thermometer was put in a freezer, then sometime during the period where the thermometer's display transitioned from 0 to -1, it could be expected that -0 appear for just a few tenths of picosecond.

We used the universities' then state-of-the-art high speed camera, and the photo that I put in post #5 above was the result.

I would have won the Nobel prize for physics, had it not been for the never-ending disagreement in the Academy of Sciences about whether the breakthrough was in physics or mathematics.

Blog Entries

Hardy har har. With all due respect I think it falls into that same category as the one hand clapping conundrum. Or if a bear without a nose flatulates in the woods ... I'm sure you get the photo.