Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small generic kermit program .hex

Default Small generic kermit program .hex

Is there a smaller generic kermit for CPM 2.2 in .HEX available anywhere?

Trying to get a Kermit running on an MDSII running CPM 2.2.

I can easily use the PIP method of transfer in a teraterm session
    but the main kermit 411 available at columbia is a 67k .hex file which is too large
    to transfer with this method.

You should be able to split up the HEX file into smaller pieces, transfer them individually, then use PIP on the other side to re-assemble (concatenate) them.

I did split CPSKER.HEX into 2 files, and verified each line had an LF.
    Then was able to get them and the generic machine-dependent CPVGEN.HEX file transferred via PIP.
    Then merged the 2 CPSKER halves with PIP successfully.

I followed cpkerm.txt instructions to create the .COM but DDT won't load the single big file
    or even the individual hex files.
    DDT just returns with a ? after some time instead of a final load addr.

I did a SAVE anyway with a calculated 116 block size but it only spits out junk from memory then crashes.

Note, CP/M expects CR+LF for line endings. If the HEX file(s) had only LF then they probably won't work. Also, I have not seen the hex file to confirm but, you should be able to use the CP/M command LOAD to convert the HEX file to a COM file. DDT/SAVE is a round-about way of doing the same thing.

I finally got kermit 4.11 transferred to the MDS on a CPM disk in a round-about way. Had to use my working version of kermit on ISIS then use ISISCOPY to move it to CPM, then DDT kermit and the generic machine-dependent code.

I now have a kermit prompt on the MDS225 and MDS888 but neither will receive a file. It's as if they are looking on the wrong port for transmit data, not CON:

I've tried all sorts of combinations of port selections on kermit and the MDS, but it just sits there after a REC command. I'm transmitting with Teraterm which does work with the ISIS version of kermit so I think a lot of unknowns are solved.

It looks like even the generic version of this kermit 4.11 somehow doesn't work on an MDS which is crazy since the MDS is what CP/M was written on.

There is no specific machine-dependent IO code for the MDS so I'm using CPVGEN.hex

http://www.z80.eu/kermit.html

Blog Entries

There's code in the Kermit archive for the MDS running ISIS, which was the usual configuration. You'll be better off writing your own overlay for the MDS if you're running CP/M. Plenty of documentation out there.

Xmodem will probably be faster--and there should be a version out there for MDS CP/M.

"Generic" Kermit works by doing all I/O using standard CP/M calls. For this to work, the IOBYTE feature must be implemented in the BIOS. Kermit communicates with the remote computer through the PUN and RDR devices, so each time Kermit is started, the SET PORT command must be issued to properly assign the physical I/O device to the RDR and PUN. For example, enter the following command at the Kermit command prompt (not the CP/M prompt): SET PORT UR2. Note that UR2 is just an example - you’ll have to figure out which IOBYTE device name is assigned to the serial port you’re using for transfer.

If IOBYTE is not fully implemented in your BIOS - including indirection through RDR and PUN - it won’t work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarock View Post
    I've tried all sorts of combinations of port selections on kermit and the MDS, but it just sits there after a REC command. I'm transmitting with Teraterm which does work with the ISIS version of kermit so I think a lot of unknowns are solved.
    I don't know what your level of expertise with kermit is, so these may be dumb questions. Are you able to connect through kermit to the remote machine and access *its* command prompt? Then run the remote machine's kermit in server mode? Then disconnect back to the local machine and run the receive command?

Also, CP/M kermit does not run in server mode, as I recall, so the other machine will need to run "server" and be the "remote".

Hi
    I've transferred many many megabytes of data with simple serial programs. These are far less complicated than Kermit. I've never had any issues. If you have both machines sitting right next to each other you don't need all the features of such programs.
    Although slow, the simplest is don't send another character until you get an echo of the one just sent. This allows the receiving end to handle the data at its own pace. It is two times slower than other methods. If there is an error, it just hangs. It is not fancy but the code usually fits in under 100H bytes at the receiving end. I've used such method several times to boot strap machines.
    If I was sending data to Mars, I'd use better methods but just to transfer data from two machines that were right next to each other doesn't take 60k+ programs.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Back in the day, I favored IMP, which can do a number of serial protocols. Not too long ago, an improved version was posted: From my bookmarks, it seems it's still around.

Give it a try.