Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model 4P power switch?

Default Model 4P power switch?

Anyone know of a modern replacement for the Model 4P power switch? The light in mine went out, and when I switched it off and back on slowly the light came on but it made the sizzling noise and electrical smell we all know and hate. It still works but it's just a matter of time before it dies permanently.

It's a Gate Array model (if that matters) and I don't care whether the replacement has the integrated lamp.

The original lit switch (at least in mine) was an OSLO Switch RTL11A125VIC9.

[URL="http://www.osloswitch.com/files/2914/3015/1465/full-size-lighted-tech-sheet-double-pole.pdf"]

You shouldn't have any problem finding a similar switch from most electronics suppliers.
    I replaced mine with a generic lit rocker switch that was the same size and color.

The only thing critical is that the switch you put in is a double pole switch (both hot and neutral switched). The original switch had 5 leads - one was to provide ground (neutral) to the lamp. Some 4 lead switches have the lamp internally connected across the two poles in which case the spare neutral would not be used.
    Some lit switches have isolated lamp contacts (6 leads) which you would have to bridge one side to the common.
    Neon lights typically last about 20 to 25 years, and this switch is now available with an LED.

Howard

I appears that finding a switch that matches the shape and size of the original is going to be difficult if not impossible. Looking on mouser.com (which has a LOT of different rocker switches) nothing is quite right. I'll have to open up the 4P case and see what might be done in terms of getting creative, or buy a "for parts" 4P and cannibalize it (which I hate the thought of doing.)

Blog Entries

Pete: I have a parts 4P that had a good switch when the mobo died. PM me an address and I'll pull it in the next day or two and mail it to you.

Mike

There’s no need to feel bad about parting out an existing machine that no longer works. This happens in every collectible hobby until the value of the items becomes enough to justify restoration of hulks. e.g. 1970 Plymouth Cudas.
    The 4P has a long way to go in that regard.

Mike,

The 4P power switch showed up today in perfect condition. Thanks again!

Pete.

Blog Entries

Mike

Just a follow-up. I installed Mike's switch and it worked great.

Before Christmas I had also requested a sample from Oslo Switch, and to my surprise the darned thing arrived today.

Blog Entries

Glad to hear that it works.

Mike