Image Map Image Map

Thread: IIe to IIgs upgrade kit

Blog Entries

Default IIe to IIgs upgrade kit

I honestly have no idea how rare these are. Are they $8000 rare?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382694170209

Um, not in my opinion. That the VARTA battery is still on board should be the first clue that the board is DOA.

Resellers who list something as "untested" instead of "for parts or repair" are the lowest, IMO. Maybe there should be another description: "Untested because I'm afraid I might find something wrong with it that would cause it to sell for less than my wildest dreams."

-CH-

Blog Entries

Yes, they probably are.

Really they aren't worth anything for using anyway. They're best purposed as a museum display.

Blog Entries

I've since read that they are quite rare and that the case pan is the hardest piece to come by, which it looks like he has.

It's interesting for sure. But I'd never pay $8k for something like that. I'm not hardcore Apple enough.

its rare and odd, but honestly I think $1,000.00 would be the absolute cap on it. Its a IIGS afterall and a IIe certainly isn't worth anything near that. And $1K is far more than I would pay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    its rare and odd, but honestly I think $1,000.00 would be the absolute cap on it. Its a IIGS afterall and a IIe certainly isn't worth anything near that. And $1K is far more than I would pay.
    I am trying (sometimes in vain) to adopt that mindset. You can truly drive yourself mad chasing all the minute variations. In my own Apple II collection the Bell & Howell is as far outside the 'mainstream' as I went. I drew the line at the Clear Light Superstar. And that Tiger Learning Computer thing.

Blog Entries

Falter, you'll likely be the one who finds out what this thing is really worth.

I won't be surprised if it goes over $1000 or even $5000. It's rarer than rare and really an important point in the history of the Apple ][.

Part of the reason it's rare is because nobody really wanted it. I can tell you from experience the other reason: a //e owner that does that upgrade will be terribly disappointed. You end up with a bunch of extraneous hardware, and little more than a very expensive accelerator.

Blog Entries

True enough.

I don't think we will know unless the buyer does a proper auction. There's a weird psychology to Buy It Now... even if the price is set at or below the average fetched auction price people will shy away.

And especially if it's rare stuff where you don't have a good baseline on what people have been paying. You become fearful of overpaying. There's a couple of items on ebay I'm interested in right now but have not pulled the trigger on, either because I can't find past sales data or the data I have found is so old you don't know if the market is still there now.