Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "upgraded" IBM AT...

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    I'm pretty sure every society has these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butcher

This is proof.
    Exactly. Why go through all that work? Probably would look and work better if you just screwed the motherboard on a piece of plywood. They have that hunk of "foxconn" cardboard acting as a shim and an insulator.
    I have a Major in Post-Apocalyptic Economics.
    Wanted: Any PC-Compatible Reciprocation Dingle Arm

Man, this thing just gets worse the longer you look at it. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Blog Entries

I messaged the seller, pointing out it was not an IBM AT, just a case with a badly jammed in "upgrade"

Offered them $50 cash and a local pickup for it. We'll see what happens...

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

People did upgrade their old AT's back then. My boss in the 90's gutted his original Compaq 386 at work and put a 486 then Pentium into it. We used to go to the Russian owned computer stores around Cleveland with the company credit card and buy whatever motherboards, chips, video cards etc we needed for upgrades because new machines needed approval from the bean counter accountant but upgrades didn't.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I sent them a message and got this back:

Rica will be closed on Saturday 12/29/2018 and remain closed till Tuesday 12/01/2019 in observance of New Years. We will resume normal business hours on Wednesday 12/02/2019.

So I guess I'll get an answer around this time next year... LOL.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

How much?!

"Unable to Power On" - surely it's easy to power on?? Looks like you have to jump-start it using the wires poking out of the front of the case!!!
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I sent them a message and got this back:

So I guess I'll get an answer around this time next year... LOL.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    They'll celebrate new years all years? I got to tell you I like holidays like that!

I wouldn’t mind betting it’s busted because the 486dx has been living without a heat sink. The only chip I’ve ever killed was a 486.

I might be worth it for parts. It's got a 50mb SCSI+interface card, 80md IDE + CF card.

I'm guessing someone pulled the 720k drive and replaced it with a FH 360k drive. The top drive IMHO is the 1.44M floppy.

It would not take much to turn it into something working. The front on the case does not look bad-bad, just the back seems bad but with a monitor sitting on top would be mostly hidden.

It has a ATX PS which needs a momentary switch, it shown with the wrong type of switch.

framer