Image Map Image Map

Thread: 2040/3040/4031 Shugart drive cam activator?

Default 2040/3040/4031 Shugart drive cam activator?

Hi there,

I have a broken 3040 where I find that the R/W head does not fully step to the inner tracks. It seems the head uses a pin sliding over a spiral "cam activator" to be moved back and forth, and that the pin slips over the spiral back instead of following it to the innermost tracks (sorry don't know how better to describe this).

(see http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...ice_Manual.pdf on page 31 of the PDF (16 printed on page))

My assumption is that this spiral may be easily replaceable by a 3d-printed part. I wonder how many other drives have the same problem.

Anyone had a similar problem? How did you solve it?

Many thanks in advance
    André

Quote Originally Posted by fachat View Post
    Hi there,

I have a broken 3040 where I find that the R/W head does not fully step to the inner tracks. It seems the head uses a pin sliding over a spiral "cam activator" to be moved back and forth, and that the pin slips over the spiral back instead of following it to the innermost tracks (sorry don't know how better to describe this).

(see http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...ice_Manual.pdf on page 31 of the PDF (16 printed on page))

My assumption is that this spiral may be easily replaceable by a 3d-printed part. I wonder how many other drives have the same problem.

Anyone had a similar problem? How did you solve it?

Many thanks in advance
    André
    Interesting fault, I've never seen this problem in real life. Do you have a picture of the broken plastic disc? Shugart SA400's mechanisms were also used for the Apple disk-II (which I have too). I assume it would be easy to 3d-print if someone took the time to measure and design a replacement, but I would just get a used/dead SA400 on ebay and substitute the part.

Frank
    Last edited by iz8dwf; December 31st, 2018 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    Interesting fault, I've never seen this problem in real life. Do you have a picture of the broken plastic disc? Shugart SA400's mechanisms were also used for the Apple disk-II (which I have too). I assume it would be easy to 3d-print if someone took the time to measure and design a replacement, but I would just get a used/dead SA400 on ebay and substitute the part.

Frank
    That is exactly why I got me an Apple II with some drives included

But even though I now have three Disk-ii where I am sure I can spare one, I don't like destroying some vintage hardware just to repair another... Besides I still don't know if the Apple Disks actually still work (not tested yet due to lack of disks. Will get some Apple disk in January I hope)

The broken 3040 is in the attic, so no pictures right now but I'll post some when I get to work on it again.

André

Quote Originally Posted by fachat View Post
    That is exactly why I got me an Apple II with some drives included

But even though I now have three Disk-ii where I am sure I can spare one, I don't like destroying some vintage hardware just to repair another... Besides I still don't know if the Apple Disks actually still work (not tested yet due to lack of disks. Will get some Apple disk in January I hope)

The broken 3040 is in the attic, so no pictures right now but I'll post some when I get to work on it again.

André
    Wow... I'm trying to get an apple II clone (the originals are way too pricey) for some years but also the clones are getting insanely pricey. I have a IIc with an additional disk II (that I just equipped with an adapter to work as second drive for the IIc).
    Get ADTpro and create as many disks as you like yourself. I remember that I had to carefully clean the disk-II head before it started to work. I would not sacrifice a disk-II just to repair a 3040 either, but I would get a random broken SA400 for that.
    Frank

Blog Entries

I have (or had) at least one Disk ][ with a bad head. I wouldn't hesitate to take parts out of one of those. In fact, I did at least once take the latch mechanism out of one.

It may be skipping because it is binding and needs to be lubed. I have a 4040 and the rails on the drives were gunked up causing issues. Just cleaned and lubed them with a tiny bit of grease fixed them up.

I bought a single Apple II drive (50$) and put the drive into a 2040. The controller card of the 2040 needs some repair, but the drive fitted. Apart from the SA400, the Apple drive is mainly a metal housing..