Image Map Image Map

Thread: Is this Commodore's Last Machine?

Blog Entries

Default Is this Commodore's Last Machine?

Was digging through my storage closet and found this again. I might have mentioned this previously.

20181230_163357.jpg

A client of mine, years ago, bought a new system from us and asked me to recycle this one. When I saw the Commodore badge I asked them if I could destroy the hard drive and keep the remainder. So that's what happened. I regret the HDD had to go but that's standard practice for us.

It appears to be a 486 DX4-100. It also appears to have legit Commodore/CBM labels all over it. I tried to figure out the date built, and the best I can figure out from the stickers and chips inside is 1994, which would be right around the time of Commodore's bankruptcy.

I've heard rumours there were Pentium class systems out but cannot find any documentation of it. Can barely find anything about this one. I'm wondering if in fact this might be the last model shipped before Commodore went bust, or if it even dates to after. I note the warranty card (in the google drive link provided) mentions Xerox as the handler for warranty claims (also, apparently I live in British Coumbia). Given Xerox's involvement for service, I'm wondering if this is a post-bankruptcy/liquidation kind of situation, similar to what they did with machines like the Interact Model 1 with a third party selling and servicing the stock after Interact went defunct.

Any thoughts?

Google drive link with more pics here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...PBjjn8PE0wiECo
    Last edited by falter; December 30th, 2018 at 05:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I want it. It's cute.

Blog Entries

Where was it made? From what I recall at the time, Escom pretty much immediately started badging their PC's with Commodore logos.

Blog Entries

There was also a year or so that Commodore Canada survived past the collapse of the major parts of the company. The PC in question has clear marks of being for the Canadian market while Escom had focused its efforts in Europe. I have no idea as to the business partnerships that 3D Microcomputer had done since that seems to be the chain responsible to warranty card.

Blog Entries

This makes it a little clearer:

"Early this year, the Canadian subsidiary, Commodore
    Business Machines Limited of Toronto, turned over the right to
    sell Commodore-brand PCs to most buyers to another company,
    3D Microcomputer Wholesale and Distribution (Canada),
    keeping for itself only the government, education, and
    institutional markets. At the time, Doug MacGregor, president of
    Commodore Canada, told Newsbytes that his company was
    finding it harder and harder to compete in the DOS PC market."

The language confuses me a bit though.. I'm not sure if that means that this was a 3D Microcomputer with a Commodore badge or if Commodore had them made already and 3D just had the rights to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I've heard rumours there were Pentium class systems out but cannot find any documentation of it.
    ESCOM (UK) Ltd purchased Commodore and started manufacturing and selling the Commodore Amiga in-store. They also sold Commodore PC's with Intel Pentium chips in them.

The way Escom (UK) Ltd manufactured the Commodore PCs was to take an own-brand Escom computer of similar specification (and when I say similar I mean 100% exactly the same) and then instead of sticking an Escom sticker on the front, they stuck a Commodore logo on it instead.

50 for the privilege of having a Commodore sticker on it! I dont think we ever sold any in the branch I worked in as when a customer as what the difference between the Escom P75 and Commodore P75 was all we could tell them was that all the components were exactly the same (from the case to the CPU and RAM) and that the only difference was for 50 extra they could have the Commodore sticker on it!
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Ha, that's a pretty funky CD-ROM drive. It almost looks like it's mounted upside down, but it's not.

I am pretty certain Commodore sold a P60 system in Canada. I'll have to check a few old Canadian electronics magazines from 1994 that I still have. From what I Recall, the system was in a desktop case with integrated speakers.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT