Image Map Image Map

Thread: Telcon Zorba: FDD replacement options?

Default Telcon Zorba: FDD replacement options?

So, My Zorba's Canon MDD-210s are being a pain and i'm honestly about at a point where i'm fed up with these wretched, wretched things. The drive spins and spins but never finds the CP/M boot sector - Cleaning, lubricating, recapping and the usual mechanics have done nothing, and I've tried alternating the A: and B: drives but I can't find any documentation, so I have no real idea how to alter the jumpering. I'm using boot media that was known to work with the machine when it was shown off for me at VCF Midwest and I've also tried generating my own using my PC/XT and ImageDisk, but absolutely nothing produces a change in behavior. I'm at wit's end here.

I'm considering just throwing in the towel on these and just getting replacement drives, but these are third-height drives because I guess Telcon thought sticking to full-height or half-height would be too neat and convenient for service purposes. Is there any way I can mount a half-height in a way that won't look like hot garbage?

Oookay. Got the drive situation sorted out cleanly (thankfully), but one more question - I'm trying to copy .hex files for KERMIT off a IBM PC CP/M-86 formatted diskette off drive P (I.e. the B: drive in single-sided, CP/M-86 formatted IBM PC mode) but keep getting read-only errors even though neither disk is read only - there something specific I need to be doing?

CP/M will set a drive to R/O if it "detects" that a diskette has been changed unexpectedly. I'm guessing it was the drive that you were copying to, but you don't specify. I'm not familiar with this special mapping of drive P: to drive B:, but if it is drive A: you are copying to then that may be the problem. It is difficult to swap out a disk in drive A: and copy to it because drive A: is integral to CP/M. If you are stuck using drive A: as the destination, when what you may need to do is create a minimal diskette that is sysgen'ed and has the copy program on it, then put that in drive A: and do a ^C (to reboot and reset BDOS) and then copy the files onto the minimal A: disk.

Yeah, I was getting errors off A:. That'd do it - thanks for the pointer! I'm kind of coming into CP/M from a point of only really having experience with IBM/MS-DOS and CP/M-86 (on a NEC APC with 1.2mb 8" disks so I never really had occasion to swap out A: ) so I didn't really figure it'd be pickier about that than DOS would be.

So far as the Zorba's drive mapping goes, it does something that'll undoubtedly come in handy once i'm ready to dabble with more CP/M boxen - the system's prepped to read several other machines' formats on drive B: out of the box, and addressing them with the different letters tells the machine what to read the disk as. P: is mapped to a 160k disk formatted under CP/M-86 on a IBM PC.

That's an interesting way to solve the problem of support for multiple disk formats. Always something new here...