Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Model M BIOS

Ray,
    THANKS. I sent you an email.

hupshall,
    Will you read the Original BIOS ROM/EPROM to a File so we also have it? I'll also forward that to Ray for his collection.

Thanks.

Larry

Yup, Will Do.

@hupshall, saw your post earlier but, only had time to respond now.
    I have the "Sperry HT" (which is actually another brand name for the Leading Edge Model M - the "M" standing for Mitsubishi). The Model D used Daewoo parts.
    I've attached the v4.71 BIOS from my Sperry XT.
    Sperry HT - 4.71 Bios.zip

I just compared the Sperry ROM with my M471.ROM (after changing it to Binary), and they are the same.

If I remember correctly the M471 Ver 4.71 was EGA ONLY, as VGA wasn't out at that time. Although hupshall
    states it works with VGA, but gives a beep code on boot up.

M330.ROM has been forwarded to Modem7.

Larry

Well, according to the Video 7 VGA 1024i card manual http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/...GA%201024i.pdf

"Leading Edge Model M: Must have Sperry ROM BIOS
    4.71 or later ."

"Sperry PC : Must have Sperry ROM BIOS 4.71 or later."

As well as quite a bit more detailed compatiblity information for other systems.

So I'd at least expect a Video 7 VGA 1024i to work, although other VGA cards may be hit or miss.

Both the 3.30 and 4.71 revisions are now hosted in the collection at [here].
    I also added a line for the Sperry HT, which directs the reader to the Leading Edge Model M.

THANKS RAY.

One thing did cross my mind last night, and that was possible switch setting on the Motherboard that might need to be changed.
    I searched my old Emails back to the 1990's but didn't find any information about the BIOS Upgrade. It must have been
    a prior provider I used, and I don't have those emails because of four virus attacks.

Would anyone have any information on the Motherboard switch settings for the Model "M". I won't be able to access my old computer
    until spring.

Thanks.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    One thing did cross my mind last night, and that was possible switch setting on the Motherboard that might need to be changed ...
    If the designer was very closely following the IBM 5150 design, then what you write of may be in relation to switch block SW2 on the motherboard.

Refer to the diagram at [here]. In the early 5150 machines, switches 5/6/7/8 on SW2 were normally off. Consequently, in most cases, an upgrade of the BIOS to the final revision required turning switch 5 on.

Ray,
    I sent jesolo a PM asking for any information he had on the Sperry HT. I got this replay:
    Yes, SW1, dip switch 5 & 6, both have to set to "ON" (which is the same setting for "NONE").
    Refer this link (right at the bottom): http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/I-L/30486.htm
    Just take note they incorrectly refer to this as the DRAM Switch configuration and it's SW1/5 & SW1/6, NOT SW2/5 & SW2/6.
    hupshall, is going to try these updated settings.

I've attached the XT information that I found for additional reference.

THANKS.

Larry

XT-Switch.jpg

I just now realised that the Leading Edge Model M will be an XT clone, not a PC clone, and therefore, lack switch block SW2.