Image Map Image Map

Thread: Dreamblaster Setup with Ess Audiodrive

Default Dreamblaster Setup with Ess Audiodrive

I just purchased a Dreamblaster. How do I enable it and what soundboard configuration do I use when installing games?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatik View Post
    I just purchased a Dreamblaster. How do I enable it and what soundboard configuration do I use when installing games?
    You have to attach the DreamBlaster to the Wave Blaster connector on the sound card (make sure the orientation is right). If your sound card does not have one, then you either have to buy the adapter board at Serdashop to plug it into the gameport/MIDI port of the sound card or, just get another sound card with a Wave Blaster header.

If your sound card is an ISA based ESS AudioDrive card, then it should have an MPU-401 compatible MIDI interface.
    It is then as simple as adjusting the MIDI volume (or sometimes the FM volume if they are combined) and ensuring that the MPU-401 MIDI interface is enabled in your sound card setup (I'm not familiar with the specifics of the ESS range of cards, so just check what the available settings are). I would use the default port of 330h.
    Although fewer games started to use this after 1992, also ensure that your SET BLASTER environment variable (in your Autoexec.bat file) properly specifies all the parameters and that it matches your sound card's configuration.

You specify General MIDI in your games' setup menu under the music option and then specify the same MIDI port as in your sound card setup (default is port 330h), if required.
    For digitized speech and sound effects, choose Sound Blaster Pro or Ess Audiodrive if you come across a game that directly supports it.

Take note that this is a General MIDI compatible daughterboard. Roland MT-32 is not supported.
    Last edited by jesolo; January 4th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I wish I would have known that before ordering.I assumed that it emulated MT-32. Only one of my games supported Waveblaster, (MM4-5) and it didn't work with it anyway. I'm glad it was only $40!

First test the Dreamblaster in your sound card's setup (if there is such a function).
    It's important that you specify the correct base port address and that your volume control is correctly set.
    In what way didn't your game work?
    Only a handful of MIDI daughterboards emulate the standard instrument mapping of the MT-32.
    If you really wish to play MT-32 supported games, then I suggest you go the MUNT route (refer to Philscompurerlab on how to set this up).

The Dreamblaster is a very capable General MIDI daughterboard and ideal for General MIDI based games.
    It is also very programmable (refer https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php...blaster+tweaks).

No music was played, only sound effects.

Have you tried with any other General MIDI game? Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Star Wars X-Wing, Wing Commander Privateer to name a few.
    Duke 3D and Star Wars X-Wing has the option to test your music and sound effects in the setup menu.

Also bear in mind that the Wave Blaster connector is directly wired to your game/MIDI port. If you have disabled the game/MIDI port or not enabled your MPU-401 MIDI interface, then you will not hear any music.

I currently have the Dreamblaster installed in my 1000 RSX which is a 386sx, probably a bad choice for this card. I am considering installing it in my 486sx along with a 100mhz upgrade chip.

I would recommend that as well.
    A 386SX 25 MHz will struggle with most of these games I mentioned.