Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tandy Sensation: Still considered valuable/great find? What made them special?

Default Tandy Sensation: Still considered valuable/great find? What made them special?

Title says it all. What was special about these machines?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Title says it all. What was special about these machines?
    I have one that's blowing a fuse in the PS, need to work on that. What made them 'great' was that it they were first machine, at a reasonable price, to put it all together; i.e. video, audio, CDROM, 486, etc.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have one that's blowing a fuse in the PS, need to work on that. What made them 'great' was that it they were first machine, at a reasonable price, to put it all together; i.e. video, audio, CDROM, 486, etc.
    Would a Sensation II still be fairly collectible, or is it just the original Sensation that holds a high value?

Blog Entries

Would a Sensation II still be fairly collectible, or is it just the original Sensation that holds a high value?
    I have the Sensation and really can't speak for the II. If you are a Tandy fan then yes, you would want one. It would be difficult to upgrade to any extent and was just about obsolete when it hit the market, but it did fulfill a niche. I like mine when it's up and running and have been just too lazy to work on the PS. If you could grab a II at a reasonable cost, I think you would enjoy it. BTW, I like Tandy stuff and have a pile of it in various descriptions.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

In terms of upgradability would you happen to know if the Sensation allows you to slap in an IDE Controller? I just posted a thread about issues with hard drive partitions disappearing on reboot, and I'm suspecting the onboard one is shot.

Blog Entries

There was a mini price boom with these as they were thought to be really rare. I have seen about 10 on Ebay this year so they aren't *that* rare and consequently prices seem to have dropped into the low hundreds.

It's not a piece that's high on my Want list... to me it's just an obsolete 90s multimedia PC. Much more interested in the 2000/1000 line.

Was the Tandy Sensation before or after the AST takeover of the computer line? From the appearance of it, I don't think Tandy themselves were producing these PC's anymore right?

I picked one up for $80, it's sitting at home waiting to be unboxed. Pretty sure it's the Sensation II, but either way I think it's a fair enough price for a decently rare piece of hardware.

I picked one up for $80, it's sitting at home waiting to be unboxed. Pretty sure it's the Sensation II, but either way I think it's a fair enough price for a decently rare piece of hardware.
    Unpacked the Sensation II. Shipper didn't even bother including any packing material, just threw it in a box and sent it out. It is dinged up a little bit, but in pretty good shape overall.

It's got a Soundblaster 16 with a volume wheel (CT-1730), a SIMM stacker (I forgot those even existed), and an installed Overdrive 66mhz chip, so all-in-all I'm pretty pleased for $80 bucks.
    Last edited by keenerb; January 7th, 2019 at 02:45 PM.

Let me know if you want to part ways with that Sensation II.