Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tandy Sensation: Still considered valuable/great find? What made them special?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatik View Post
    Let me know if you want to part ways with that Sensation II.
    I'm not actually that attached to it, just seemed like a heck of a deal. I think I like my 2500SX/20 more. Let me tinker around with it for a bit.

Powered Sensation on, it fails to boot. FLoppy doesn't seek, hard drive and power lights stay on. CD-ROM ejects and self-tests. No beeps are heard.

A little disappointing.

The CMOS battery had very light corrosion, replaced it, no change. Motherboard is super clean, I'm not at all sure there's a problem with it. I'm hoping it's the power supply; it seems to be a bog-standard AT-style powersupply so I'll check voltages tomorrow and swap it out with a known good.

Any other suggestions? I've pulled all the expansion cards, and disconnected the Overdrive chip and reset jumpers to use onboard cpu with no change.

Power supply is providing all the expected voltages on all the expected places, so it's not likely to be a PSU issue.

I pulled the EEPROM which is an M27C1001 and have dumped it and attached here, hoping to see some corruption; system behaviour is identical with or without BIOS installed.

Bios is receiving +5v on vcc. My nice multimeter is packed up somewhere, as soon as I can dig it out I'll check for frequency on ISA slot. Motherboard itself seems absolutely perfect, so this is very confusing to me...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by keenerb; January 8th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Power supply is providing all the expected voltages on all the expected places, so it's not likely to be a PSU issue.

I pulled the EEPROM which is an M27C1001 and have dumped it and attached here, hoping to see some corruption; system behaviour is identical with or without BIOS installed.

Bios is receiving +5v on vcc. My nice multimeter is packed up somewhere, as soon as I can dig it out I'll check for frequency on ISA slot. Motherboard itself seems absolutely perfect, so this is very confusing to me...
    You may want to do a thorough 'eye ball' inspection of the motherboard. Look for any caps that seem to be bulging or other anomalies like a burnt surface component.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    You may want to do a thorough 'eye ball' inspection of the motherboard. Look for any caps that seem to be bulging or other anomalies like a burnt surface component.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...on-not-posting

That's the sum of my troubleshooting so far.

I'm thinking either a memory compatibility issue or RST line issue, both of which I'll be testing out this evening.

Got the Sensation working perfectly, hard drive even works. As far as I can tell, someone played two games of Duke Nukem 3D full version on it and then put it away, WIndows 3.1 was still factory default installation.