Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FDISK "Divide Overflow" on 256MB CF Card

So, I'm beginning to think it was my soldering.
    I spent two hours last night re-soldering a bunch of the pins on the XT-IDE's IDE connector, and then I was able to read and write to the CF card. But I can't boot from it. And it will randomly stop working (maybe I need some more re-soldering?). I'll need to figure out how to upgrade the XT-IDE BIOS to the latest version (I'm running 1.1.5, very old) and try again. I probably still have some connections to double check and re-solder The pins on the IDE connector are a pain. 40 of them, and so dang close together.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Try upgrading to a newer revision of the XUB that uses the new drive translation code, Try r591, The 'No boot sector found' error is likely because you are not configuring the CF on the 5155 with the 1.1.5 XUB, Using another computer to configure the CF for the 5155 that is running 1.1.5 XUB is asking for trouble.
    Their website seems to be down. I posted a message to the XTIDE Universal BIOS thread, hopefully it will help me get some relief.

I posted r591 with bootmenu a while back, give that a try, You must use XTIDECFG.COM to configure the bios first and then flash to eeprom. Depending on how you have the card jumpered ie: for compatability mode set device type option to "XTIDE rev1" or for Hi Speed mode set device type option to "XTIDE rev2 or modded rev1". I'd recommend using Hi-Speed mode. See post #321 http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-thread/page33

I posted r591 with bootmenu a while back, give that a try, You must use XTIDECFG.COM to configure the bios first and then flash to eeprom. Depending on how you have the card jumpered ie: for compatability mode set device type option to "XTIDE rev1" or for Hi Speed mode set device type option to "XTIDE rev2 or modded rev1". I'd recommend using Hi-Speed mode. See post #321 http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-thread/page33
    Aaaaand now I appear to have hosed my XTIDE BIOS with a bad setting (setting the BIOS display to large size monochrome borked it). Any ideas how I can fix this? It won't boot from a disk so I can get to the program to flash it :-/

Disable the ROM with the jumper or switch, depending on the version, boot the machine, enable the ROM and execute the flash utility.

Quote Originally Posted by djfitzgerald View Post
    Aaaaand now I appear to have hosed my XTIDE BIOS with a bad setting (setting the BIOS display to large size monochrome borked it). Any ideas how I can fix this? It won't boot from a disk so I can get to the program to flash it :-/
    Disable the eeprom on the r4 card, SW2 and turn the ENA switch to off, Boot the computer with a floppy and turn the ENA switch to on and reflash

Edit: James beat me to it

Disable the eeprom on the r4 card, SW2 and turn the ENA switch to off, Boot the computer with a floppy and turn the ENA switch to on and reflash

Edit: James beat me to it
    I'm having that sinking feelling I left the flash program on the CF card... *groans* I'll try anyway

Quote Originally Posted by djfitzgerald View Post
    I'm having that sinking feelling I left the flash program on the CF card... *groans* I'll try anyway
    Well, that got it to boot around the card, but now I am kicking myself really, really, really hard for not copying the flashing software off of the CF card. The only way for me to get stuff onto the PC at the moment is through the floppy drives

Edited to add: It looks like I'm stuck until somebody can put the EEPROM flashing software onto a 5" floppy for me. I'm hoping to have a hacking session next week with some folks that have more equipment than I have (I just have the 5155, a single blank 5" diskette, a USB floppy drive, CF cards, and a CF reader).
    Last edited by djfitzgerald; January 11th, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

Do you know anyone local with an eprom programmer ?

Do you know anyone local with an eprom programmer ?
    Not that I know of, although I have a coworker I can ask. Either way, I'm hosed through the weekend.

I'm kicking myself because I had been thinking "Maybe I should copy the ROM image and the XTIDE configurator onto this floppy before I reboot?"