Image Map Image Map

Thread: Nice to meet you.

Default Nice to meet you.

Hello,

My name is cythia currently living at Atlanta USA, I just member last year and want to learn more on building vintage computer I'm planning to build my own vintage setup preferably ATARI right now it's on my #1 lists but I know I can learn more in here so it will be a pile of lists I think

Thank you.

Hi there! Welcome to the board. Don't feed the animals

Which series of Atari are you going with? 8-bit, ST, or PC?

For reference:

The Atari 400, 800, 1200xl, 600xl, 800xl, 65XE, 130XE and the XE GS are the 8 bit systems (aka A8 family). And yes, I love the A8s.

I think I have the order (older to newer) technically its:

400 & 800
    1200xl
    600xl & 800xl
    65XE & 130XE

Blog Entries

Welcome Cythia.

It's funny sometimes. How my brain works sometimes. I've always had a fondness for the Atari 800, and having absolutely nothing to do with the first computer my fingers (or should I say my knuckles) typed on was an Atari 400 in high school. I hated the things! Anyway, the 800, the XEGS, and my mainstay the Atari STs are the units I hold in high regard, but the only ones I own (and too many) are Atari STs. I WILL own an 800 before long. I really want an XEGS also. By lately I want all of them! I don't know why. A niece had an 800xl, I think, around 1990. I had essentially zero interest. I acquired an 800xl about 10 years ago, as part of a larger collection, sold it. No regrets then, a bunch now. I must be insane. But I have to limit myself from hereon out, so unless someone gives me something other then an 800 or XEGS, I won't buy one.

Blog Entries

Cythia, go with the 800 and it's peripherals. It's better built and has better software compatibility.
    Rick Ethridge

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ethridge View Post
    Cythia, go with the 800 and it's peripherals. It's better built and has better software compatibility.
    While I wouldn't recommend starting with a 1200xl (I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection ) I would say the 800, 800xl and 130XE are a good starting point. I do agree that the 800 is a great machine (nice keyboards). The 800xl and the 130xe aren't a bad starting point.

I'm biased toward the 800xl (my first computer) and the 800 (my second). As a teen I mod'd both of these with things like RAM disks and Omnimon. And I still have them.