Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 2000 and 3.5" floppy conversion

Confirmed that the Samsung drive is strapped for RY and DS0. The drive in the T2K is also set for DS0. I have also wired the INUSE jumper to pin 4 of the drive connector (the T2K expects an in use signal).

Blog Entries

There's no reason that it won't spin right up, as far as I can tell. I'm assuming that if this is a 2-drive setup that both aren't set to DS0. You need to set the second one to DS1 if you're using a flat cable.

I just unplugged the existing drive0 and plugged this in. I also tried it in a regular PC and it works fine, spinning up properly. Kind of frustrating actually. Maybe if you have a chance can you send me a picture of the PCB on your drive?

Blog Entries

Why would this drive work in a regular PC? Regular PCs demand DS1, not DS0 to function.

Blog Entries

Vanilla PC's maybe. My old ITT Xtra-XP needed DS0, or whatever the opposite of default was for that Teac floppy. I got yelled at by the "technician" where I bought it, and that's putting it mildly, as I should have known that he felt. 1989.

As a test I jumpered it “default” and put it in a PC to see if the motor operated properly. Just trying to eliminate that as an issue.

Interesting data point. I decided to wire MOTOR to ground at the drive and the drive works properly with the T2K. I was able to successfully format a disk and make a bootable system disk. So, that would tell me that there is a jumper amiss somewhere or the T2K doesn’t use the MOTOR line for this purpose.

Blog Entries

Score! Now onto the Gotek (and still waiting for mine oi vay).

Yes!

I think aside from RDY on pin 34, many more drives could work if the motor signal is grounded. Will add this to my web site tomorrow.

I have a black bracket on order so I can mount it. I made up the 2-drive cable and installed everything and it works fine.

Blog Entries

Page 90 of the 2000 Service Manual says that pin 16 is the usual MOTOR ON/.
    Page 130 has the schematic of the floppy section. Note that MOTOR ON/ is driven by U140, pin 8. Perhaps there's a problem in your cable, if this pin goes low.

INUSE/ (pin 4) is merely an activity indicator driven by the HDL output of the 8272--note that it's an input to the drive. I wouldn't bother with it--the drive LED will come on when the drive is selected.