Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tandy 2000 and 3.5" floppy conversion

I will look into the IC tomorrow. The existing 5.25” drive works but it could be how it’s jumpered, too, masking a problem with that chip. Right now it all works with my new cable. Maybe the sub-version of the 3.5” is odd since it was an IBM OEM version.

Thanks again for all of the help. Great way to end the day

Interesting thing. The 1.44MB drive on the PC can read the disk directory but the geometry is all off so it's not usable for cross-platform, yet. The 800.COM program doesn't help. Need to do some research.

Using the ZAPMID program to twiddle the FAT_ID is required to make this work. Now cross-platform. Yay!

Blog Entries

Now on to the GOTEK.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Page 90 of the 2000 Service Manual says that pin 16 is the usual MOTOR ON/.
    Page 130 has the schematic of the floppy section. Note that MOTOR ON/ is driven by U140, pin 8. Perhaps there's a problem in your cable, if this pin goes low.

INUSE/ (pin 4) is merely an activity indicator driven by the HDL output of the 8272--note that it's an input to the drive. I wouldn't bother with it--the drive LED will come on when the drive is selected.
    Chuck -- if I could revisit this for a minute. U140 us a 7416, a high current open-collector hex inverter/driver. Right now I have MOTOR_ON grounded at the drive because that seems to be the only way that it is able to work. I don't see any pull-ups on the U140 side and without a schematic of the floppy drive, I have no idea what's happening there. It would seem that grounding it would be OK because there are no pull-ups anywhere but I wanted to get your thoughts on that.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Yup, I wouldn't leave it that way permanently, but the 7416 is open-collector, so grounding the MTR ON/ pin won't hurt anything (i.e., the 7416 can only pull down toward 0V; there's no active pullup). The usual (i.e. recommended) interface is using 7438, which has a somewhat higher output current rating, but if it works, it works.

Excellent, thanks Chuck.