Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS DOS 5.0 & 6.0 Install Disk's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MS DOS 5.0 & 6.0 Install Disk's

To be honest and upfront, I do not know how to use emulators, or how to get a disk image into a working floppy. I am more a hard ware person than software and should have been doing this 30 years ago. I am willing to pay for MS DOS 5.0 & 6.0 install disk's so I can restore an OS on my Model 1000 SX. All of the software I received with my Small horde of TRS 80's was not stored very well and has mold on them and are unusable. Sorry to be a pain and Thank You.

Hello,

You don't need to buy it. It's abandonware and you can [Google it for more information on how to get it*]

These are self-extracting floppy images. So you just double click them and they extract to a floppy.

If you need some floppies, just buy yourself a pack of 3.5" floppies on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222654468370

* Mod Edit, we can't condone software piracy, if even the software is REALLY old.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by exs1s View Post
    Hello,

You don't need to buy it. It's abandonware and you can [Google it for more information on how to get it].

These are self-extracting floppy images. So you just double click them and they extract to a floppy.

If you need some floppies, just buy yourself a pack of 3.5" floppies on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222654468370
    abandonware is not an excuse for piracy. but you can make a dos boot disk from a 9x or even XP system for free. Its not quite the same, there is also free dos too.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    abandonware is not an excuse for piracy.
    Do you have a link that points to a microsoft web page where one can order a new DOS disk?
    If not, what's option 2? Go on eBay and buy used magnetic media that's been used and stored God only knows where over the last 30 years? And where do you stop on that...do forensics on the disk and label to make sure it wasn't a bootleg made 20 years ago?

Also, nearly every Tandy included DOS disks with the computer (1200 may be an exception?). Since you own the hardware which included DOS as part of the price, does that still go outside the morality factor when using copies?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    Since you own the hardware which included DOS as part of the price, does that still go outside the morality factor when using copies?
    It does in mind as it's not a question of 'morality' but of legality.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    It does in mind as it's not a question of 'morality' but of legality.
    If he bought a Tandy that came with DOS it unquestionably came with a license. That license (in all likelihood) permits you to make/have a backup for your own personal use.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    Do you have a link that points to a microsoft web page where one can order a new DOS disk?
    If not, what's option 2? Go on eBay and buy used magnetic media that's been used and stored God only knows where over the last 30 years? And where do you stop on that...do forensics on the disk and label to make sure it wasn't a bootleg made 20 years ago?

Also, nearly every Tandy included DOS disks with the computer (1200 may be an exception?). Since you own the hardware which included DOS as part of the price, does that still go outside the morality factor when using copies?

No you cannot buy it anymore, that does not matter to Microsoft (or any court for that matter). And for the record, I have actually called Microsoft and asked them where to get it, and was told "No where" and then told that they maintain all their copyrights and will go after people pirate their software, no matter how old.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

The website in question has been there such a long time. If it was in breach of Microsoft's copyright, and if indeed Microsoft cared, that website would not be there. It's almost universally accepted that abandonware is fair game and no-one would uphold the copyright on software so old and obsolete. After all, what would be the commercial advantage?

I'd say it's a fair bet to assume that the legal chaps at Microsoft would have an issue with someone profiting by their old software, but the website in question is simply allowing access to the software. I'd say they're doing Microsoft a favour.

A bit like thinkpads.com at doing Lenovo a huge favour taking the responsibility away from them for supporting old IBM models.

There's a very detailed discussion/explanation on Stack Exchange on this subject. It's very inconclusive, but it's a good read.

LTE & Deskpro Enthusiast

Current Models: Compaq LTE Lite 4/25, LTE Lite 4/33, LTE Elite 4/75, LTE 5000, Deskpro 386s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exs1s View Post
    Hello,

You don't need to buy it. It's abandonware and you can download it from ...
    Yes, yes you do. It is copyrighted software, and Microsoft does maintain the copyright on it. Abandonware is not a legal term or permission to just distribute copyrighted software.

I've edited your original post to remove the direct link, last thing we need here is cease and desist letter from a lawyer.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I would be helpful to know what type (size) disks this machine uses.

Do you want DOS 5.0 or 6.0?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step