Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MS DOS 5.0 & 6.0 Install Disk's

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I agree with that, but that doesn't mean that you have carte blanche or perpetuity.
    Actually, you do. There's no stipulation as to how to obtain this backup or where it's 'allowed' to come from. A backup is a backup.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Actually, you do. There's no stipulation as to how to obtain this backup or where it's 'allowed' to come from. A backup is a backup.
    Yeah but! That backup is intended for the original purchaser's personal use.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Yeah but! That backup is intended for the original purchaser's personal use.
    I didn't indicate anything to the contrary.

Of course you are allowed to sell the software and then you, as the original purchaser, are no longer permitted to own a copy of it but the purchaser is.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

OK. So what about if a PC came bundled with MS-DOS 6.22 and you've lost the original disks. Can you make a backup of a friend's bundled software for the same machine? After all, you had them in the first place and would have backed them up, but forgot...

LTE & Deskpro Enthusiast

Current Models: Compaq LTE Lite 4/25, LTE Lite 4/33, LTE Elite 4/75, LTE 5000, Deskpro 386s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I didn't indicate anything to the contrary.

Of course you are allowed to sell the software and then you, as the original purchaser, are no longer permitted to own a copy of it but the purchaser is.
    This got sidetracked somewhere. I agree, the backup source is immaterial. Caveat: You own the original. The gist of this thread was about grabbing MS DOS by some shady means, whether it be backup or not. All of my OS's are bought and paid for. What few pieces that I didn't buy, were bonafide gifts; i.e., my 2003 Microsoft server package with 5 licenses included (via a MS presentation seminar), and my XP Enterprise edition, for example. BTW, if someone feels okay about grabbing whatever they need off the net, then that's their business and none of mine.

It's a very grey area. Downloading MS-DOS (from one of the websites that we all know about) is piracy as the software is copyrighted. If you are downloading it to use on vintage/retro computers of the same era and for personal use and not commercial use I cannot imagine Microsoft coming after you as they have bigger fish to fry. However if you were imaging it to floppy disk and then selling it on then I'd expect a call from Microsoft.

To be honest, I don't know why Microsoft don't sell MS-DOS and Windows 3.x (maybe even 9x) for use on Vintage and Retro computers. It wouldn't even have to be on physical media, they could sell digital downloads of images along with a licence certificate for it - all digital and then you have to get hold of your own media to image it to. They wouldn't even have to do this themselves, they could licence a company or non-profit organisation to do it on their behalf - a bit like computer refurbisher company sells a refurbished licence of newer versions of Windows on refurbished computers.
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by FazzaGBR View Post
    I don't know why Microsoft don't sell MS-DOS and Windows 3.x
    Because they want you to be replacing your computer constantly and be tied with their new 'software rental, sell everything they can find out about you, constant stream of revenue' business model.
    MSFT is not alone in pushing this.

It's a very grey area. Downloading MS-DOS (from one of the websites that we all know about) is piracy as the software is copyrighted. If you are downloading it to use on vintage/retro computers of the same era and for personal use and not commercial use I cannot imagine Microsoft coming after you as they have bigger fish to fry. However if you were imaging it to floppy disk and then selling it on then I'd expect a call from Microsoft.
    Exactly...

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...445#post553445

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Because they want you to be replacing your computer constantly and be tied with their new 'software rental, sell everything they can find out about you, constant stream of revenue' business model.
    MSFT is not alone in pushing this.
    This maybe their business model for modern computers but retro and certainly vintage are a completely different kettle of fish. I can understand them not wanting to do it themselves, but perhaps a not-for-profit computer museum could run the scheme for them.
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Blog Entries

I can understand them not wanting to do it themselves, but perhaps a not-for-profit computer museum could run the scheme for them.
    They don't wanna - nothing in it for them.