Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tandy Sensation HDD Problems

Default Tandy Sensation HDD Problems

Hi all,

I recently came across a motherload of DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, and Win95 install floppies and decided to resurrect my old Tandy Sensation system. Problem is, I can't get MS-DOS installed. Any changes I make to the hard drive via FDISK are gone when the system reboots, which obviously means the MS-DOS setup program throws a disk error when it tries to install. I am currently trying to use a Seagate ST3120A or a ST3144A, the latter of which I know is definitely working. Here's what I've tried so far:

• Removed all ISA cards
    • Verified both drives are properly configured in the BIOS and are set as the master drive (and disconnected the CD drive)
    • Tried three different IDE cables
    • Tried using Ranish Partition Manager, which showed four un-deletable partitions. I configured one to use FAT16 and then formatted it, but it was "gone" after a reboot.
    • Replaced CMOS battery to ensure HDD settings are being saved

At this point, I am beginning to suspect the onboard IDE controller is on the fritz, but before I go and buy one on eBay I just wanted to get some additional input. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

1650? On-board IDE is for "SmartDrive" IDEs. If 1651, no suggestions.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeModifed View Post
    1650? On-board IDE is for "SmartDrive" IDEs. If 1651, no suggestions.

Mike
    It is a 1650. The ST3120A (which was the original drive in the system as far as I know) was working the last time I tinkered with this system (around 2012-2013 ish), so combined with the fact that the fully-functional ST3144A is not working I was thinking whatever onboard IDE controller is there was dead. Would you happen to know if I can simply slap an ISA IDE controller in? The manual doesn't make any mention of jumper settings to disable the onboard IDE (only mentions that IRQ14 is blocked when a drive is plugged in), nor are there any settings for it in the BIOS.

Blog Entries