Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Flash - Utility/Software To Show Useage

Default Compact Flash - Utility/Software To Show Useage

I've recently purchased a few second-hand Compact Flash cards (256MB and 512MB) for use in an IDE adaptor with my retro/vintage laptops.

With a HDD you can install a utility that shows you how much usage it has had (i.e. total R/Ws and hours powered on) is there any information like this on a Compact Flash drive and if so what utility can show this?
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by FazzaGBR View Post
    With a HDD you can install a utility that shows you how much usage it has had (i.e. total R/Ws and hours powered on)...
    Can you show us an example of what you are referring to?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

SMART data I think. Will be implementation specific.

He is talking about SMART status information, although spinning disks usually do not keep track of the exact amount read/written since they can do so almost infinitely with no wear.

If CF cards had information like that I would actually expect them to be available via SMART if the card implements it.

It is supported by the CompactFlash standard. What data comes back will depend on the vendor.

Blog Entries

I believe that several makes of CF-sized Microdrives kept SMART data.

Quote Originally Posted by FazzaGBR View Post
    I've recently purchased a few second-hand Compact Flash cards (256MB and 512MB) for use in an IDE adaptor with my retro/vintage laptops.
    Are these DOS or Windows machines? I don't think there is a DOS S.M.A.R.T tool available. For Windows, probably XP or better is a good idea.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Can you show us an example of what you are referring to?
    Here you go:

hard-disk-info.jpg

I believe flash memory has a finite amount of read/writes before it ceases to function so was looking for a way to indicate how much life is left in one. The above screenshot shows how many times a HDD has been powered on and how many hours overall it has been on for, this info is stored within the hard disk itself so you can run the report on any hard disk you have.
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Blog Entries

SMART is not supported, by spec. c.f. CF Card Spec. PDF page 134, IDENTIFY command result, word 82, bit 0 (SMART mode support) is specified as 0, as is word 85, bit 0 (command sets supported).

Good catch Chuck! And yet some manufacturers do:

https://www.smartm.com/products/flas...atic=CF%20Card

They are also all supposed to support 8-bit transfers in ATA mode, and yet not all do... some artistic license being applied I guess.