Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compact Flash - Utility/Software To Show Useage

Blog Entries

As I said, I was surprised to find certain Microdrives supporting SMART.

Ah well, there's nothing like standards that aren't, eh?

I can't speak for CF. But I did work for a large tier 1 infotainment supplier in automotive. Managed NAND (eMMC) vendors varied in what data they would allow OEMs to have access too. 'Vendor A', for example, allowed the extraction of all PE (program/erase) cycle counts for every erase group on the device via an undocumented vendor specific command. Very handy for accurate wear projection models based on our usage pattern. 'Vendor B' on the other hand only allowed the fetching of a number from 1 to 10 from the device that represented a 10-percentage of total life expectancy used. Nearly all the manufacturers allowed us to send a device command log of a typical use-cycle and an operation temperature breakdown of the device in-use and provide us with lifetime projections assuming a specified re-occurrence rate.

Flash and flash controller manufacturers are very protective of anything that might reveal insights into their internal operations.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Sounds a bit hit-n-miss then! Can anyone recommend a SMART utility to try then? I have a USB memory card reader for my Windows 10 laptop so need a utility that will run on that.
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

You might not have access to smart over usb. But speedfan or hdtune should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by pearce_jj View Post
    You might not have access to smart over usb. But speedfan or hdtune should do the job.
    Thanks, I'll give them a try

Btw, there is a DOS utility for displaying SMART values - Hard Disk Sentinel for DOS
    https://www.hdsentinel.com/hdsdos/hdsdos.zip
    Just run it with the /SMART parameter.

The results are in and HDTune says the ones I have tested support S.M.A.R.T. but give no details like I get from an actual HDD so I guess it's like people are saying, it's part of the standard compact flash memory can adhere to but most seem to ignore this bit.

Yes, indeed. Usually, you may determine if a CompactFlash supports S.M.A.R.T. just by looking into its datasheet.
    I prefer using industrial CFs with S.M.A.R.T. support.