Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need info on this 1983 C64 RF shield

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    I second that. But being more a tinkerer than a collector, I removed these cardboards because a lot of the time they were in the way of what I was building (read: piggybacking) on the motherboard. Now thinking about it, on computer meetings I'm asked quite often to repair C64s and I really cannot remember having seen one with the cardboard still installed lately.
    I also can say that I'm quite sure that neither I nor the neighbors experienced RFI issues because of these removed cardboards.
    agreed. Most were removed by hobbyists or remained in till some ic burned out (most likely the case with this one and why it was given to me free. I repaired the unit and added it back for pure accuracy. But If I was to use it Id remove it and use heatsinks.

Honestly I just never encountered one in a C64 before.. I know they were inexpensive but those reek "CHEAP!"

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    On that note. Does anyone have a good source for Dip style heatsinks cheap. They sell tiny ones as "kits" on ebay but they arent cheap at all. Id like to stock up on a bunch if they are priced right.
    A friend and I have used these for lots of things and fit on dips just fine.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/yP6cg3O
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

Thanks ngtwolf I'll pick some up

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Good tip! Just ordered two sets.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    All PAL C64 that I have seen have the cardboard with metalization on top, connected with a clip to the cartdrige port shield. It must be some kind of RFI issue and without it they weren't compliant to some EU rules.
    I have all periods C64s (starting from 1983, sorry, no 1982 ones) and all have this cardboard.

Frank
    It was the same in the UK on every factory-fresh C64 I've seen. A crappy piece of cardboard with foil on top clipped to the cartridge port just to keep the chips nice and warm and toasty.

Most plastic-cased 8 bit computers sold at the same time from other manufacturers in the UK didn't have any RF shielding at all, I'm not quite sure in what European country it was required which led to Commodore including it (if it was actually required in any of them).
    Last edited by cwathen; January 10th, 2019 at 05:00 AM.

These cardboard shields are plentiful on C64s and some 64c's everywhere. I have seen plenty of them in the USA. The first thing I do when I get one in to work on is cut it off. It is totally useless and was obviously a cheap way to get FCC compliant at the time.

Just a side note that the recent video by Perifractic where he shows how to piggyback ram, he's working on a C64 with the cardboard shield.
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )