Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM Fixed Disk and Diskette Drive Adapter For 5170

Default IBM Fixed Disk and Diskette Drive Adapter For 5170

I must have a bad fixed disk card in one of my ATs. It occasionally throws a 601 error on post. Also it always throws a “ disk unusable” Error when trying to format a diskette. Reading is also flakey. Not sure what the issue is.

I borrowed a card from my other system and it seemed to work normally.

I suppose I need a replacement card.
    I have a Major in Post-Apocalyptic Economics.
    Wanted: Any PC-Compatible Reciprocation Dingle Arm

Quote Originally Posted by offensive_Jerk View Post
    I suppose I need a replacement card.
    Have you tried cleaning the edge connectors, if for no better reason than it is easy to do ?

No, I should try that though.
    I did replace the capacitors just because I had a different one that had a shorted capacitor. Didn't help.

You might check the power supply. I have seen an instance recently where it seemed noisy/weak power may have been responsible for intermittent floppy issues. Similarly, you might test the card in a minimal configuration or in another machine.

I had the similar issue. Abort, Ignore, Retry on disk A; hang on disk B. Two things may have been at play. The Terminating resistor chip which should have only been installed on Drive A and swapping molex connectors, which could have related to the power supply like SomeGuy mentioned or dirty terminals.

Cleaned the contacts, no luck. Invalid media or track 0 bad message on both a and b drives.
    Swapped a different card in from a 5170 that just blew the psu and both drives formatted fine.
    Strange...

Blog Entries

Is that an MFM controller? If so I can dig through my small collection of the things and send you one or two that may or may not work for the cost of shipping if it helps.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

I've got several 16-bit RLL floppy+HD controllers that are collecting dust here. Good (WD1006V-SR2) for their day, but hopelessly obsolete today. I drop you one for the cost of shipping.